- Title: 'Bolsonaro Out!' -protesters call for Brazil president's impeachment
- Date: 14th July 2020
- Summary: BRASILIA, BRAZIL (JULY 14, 2020) (REUTERS) PROTESTERS DEMONSTRATING, SAYING (Portuguese) "BOLSONARO OUT," WHILE HOLDING PETITIONS CALLING FOR BOLSONARO'S IMPEACHMENT PROTESTERS CHANTING (Portuguese) "BOLSONARO OUT" PROTESTERS DEMONSTRATING VARIOUS OF PROTESTER, BRUNO HENRIQUE, HOLDING COPY OF BRAZIL'S CONSTITUTION WITH TEXT ON TOP READING (Portuguese) "BOLSONARO OUT" (SOUNDBITE) (Portuguese) PROTESTER, BRUNO HENRIQUE, SAYING: "Bolsonaro out. (We want) him to be impeached because his government has caused a true genocide on indigenous people, on the Black population, on our whole country - more than 70,000 deaths (from COVID-19) in our country and the president has done nothing to prevent it." PERSON MOURNING OVER CROSSES SET UP TO SYMBOLIZE COVID-19 VICTIMS BRAZILIAN FLAG ON CROSS PERSON MOURNING, WEARING FACE MASK VARIOUS OF PROTESTER, DANIELA IGUIZI, HOLDING MANNEQUIN'S HEAD WITH GUN ATTACHED TO IT (SOUNDBITE) (Portuguese) PROTESTER, DANIELA IGUIZI, SAYING: "Another request for impeachment will be delivered to Congress today. So, we came here to show our indignation and to create pressure for (lower chamber speaker) Rodrigo Maia to accept this impeachment request." VARIOUS OF PROTESTERS GATHERED PEOPLE WEARING FACE MASKS WITH TEXT READING (Portuguese) "BOLSONARO OUT" PROTESTERS HOLDING FLAGS AND BANNERS VARIOUS OF PROTESTER, CLAUDIA LIMA, WEARING FACE MASK READING (Portuguese) "BOLSONARO OUT" (SOUNDBITE) (Portuguese) PROTESTER, CLAUDIA LIMA, SAYING: "Brazil can't take it anymore. There have been more than 70,000 deaths, more than 70,000 families crying over the deaths of people that were ignored and scorned by the genocidal person in charge of the Brazilian government." CROSSES IN GROUND AT PROTEST CROSSES / BRAZILIAN FLAG
- Embargoed: 28th July 2020 16:50
- Keywords: Brasilia Brazil Brazilian President Jair Bolsonaro administration against capital coronavirus opposition protest
- Location: BRASILIA, BRAZIL
- City: BRASILIA, BRAZIL
- Country: Brazil
- Topics: Government/Politics
- Reuters ID: LVA001CMS8W1Z
- Aspect Ratio: 16:9
- Story Text: Protesters descended on Brazil's capital on Tuesday (July 14) chanting "Bolsonaro out!," in a call for the impeachment of right-wing Brazilian President Jair Bolsonaro.
The protest was attended by some 150 people from left-wing political parties as well as LGBT and indigenous rights groups.
Protesters severely criticized the president's handling of the ongoing coronavirus pandemic in Brazil. "There have been more than 70,000 deaths, more than 70,000 families crying over the deaths of people that were ignored and scorned by the genocidal person in charge of the Brazilian government," said protester Claudia Lima.
Bolsonaro himself tested positive for the novel coronavirus on Tuesday (July 7) last week, after coming down with a fever. By Wednesday (July 8), he said he was already doing very well, crediting his use of the anti-malarial drug hydroxychloroquine - unproven for treating coronavirus - for his mild symptoms.
Brazil is the second-worst hit country by the global coronavirus pandemic after the United States. On Tuesday, the Health Ministry registered 20,286 new confirmed cases of the disease, bringing the cumulative total cases to nearly 1.9 million, while more than 72,000 people have died from the virus in Brazil.
(Production: Leonardo Benassatto, Patrick Alwine)
- Copyright Holder: REUTERS
- Usage Terms/Restrictions: None