- Title: 'I was motivated to help' -Brazil volunteers step up to test COVID-19 vaccine
- Date: 14th July 2020
- Summary: SAO PAULO, BRAZIL (JULY 10, 2020) (REUTERS) VACCINE STUDY VOLUNTEER AND BRAZILIAN DOCTOR, VINICIUS CAMPOS, IN STREET CAMPOS ENTERS HOSPITAL CAMPOS WALKING INSIDE HOSPITAL VARIOUS OF CAMPOS IN HIS OFFICE (SOUNDBITE) (Portuguese) VACCINE STUDY VOLUNTEER AND BRAZILIAN DOCTOR, VINICIUS CAMPOS, SAYING: "I was motivated to help because they need 2,000 participants in Sao Paulo. I participate in clinical studies and I know the importance of having a well-designed clinical study, of having participants so that it's a well done clinical study. I'm not scared. It's likely a safe vaccine, a virus particle. I think it's pretty safe." CAMPOS IN HIS OFFICE (SOUNDBITE) (Portuguese) VACCINE STUDY VOLUNTEER AND BRAZILIAN DOCTOR, VINICIUS CAMPOS, SAYING: "I have to fill out a virtual questionnaire that I receive in my email. It asks if I have any symptoms, if I have a fever. In the first few days it was more specific, now it's more about symptoms and fever. It asked if I had any injuries, any wound at the site of the vaccine, what was the size of the wound, if it was small or big or was red. I get one every day. Today I already got it and I've already responded. They ask if I have a fever, if I have any symptoms, it's really easy." RIO DE JANEIRO, BRAZIL (RECENT - JUNE 27, 2020) (REUTERS) VARIOUS OF AMBULANCE OUTSIDE MARACANA TEMPORARY FIELD HOSPITAL VARIOUS OF HEALTH WORKERS OUTSIDE FIELD HOSPITAL BRASILIA, BRAZIL (RECENT - JUNE 27, 2020) (REUTERS) REPRESENTATIVES FROM BRAZIL'S HEALTH MINISTRY ARRIVING AT NEWS CONFERENCE OFFICIALS SITTING DOWN (SOUNDBITE) (Portuguese) BRAZIL'S NO.2 PUBLIC HEALTH OFFICIAL, ELCIO FRANCO, SAYING: "Brazil sent a reply to the British Embassy and the President of the AstraZeneca laboratory accepting the proposal for a cooperation agreement on technological development and Brazil's access to the vaccine for COVID-19." RIO DE JANEIRO, BRAZIL (RECENT - JUNE 26, 2020) (REUTERS) VARIOUS OF PEOPLE WALKING AND PRACTISING SPORTS ON COPACABANA BEACH VARIOUS OF COPACABANA BEACH
- Embargoed: 28th July 2020 19:27
- Keywords: Brazil COVID-19 cases clinical trials coronavirus cure disease infected outbreak pandemic sick subjects test vaccine
- Location: SAO PAULO, RIO DE JANEIRO & BRASILIA, BRAZIL
- City: SAO PAULO, RIO DE JANEIRO & BRASILIA, BRAZIL
- Country: Brazil
- Topics: Health/Medicine
- Reuters ID: LVA004CMS98P3
- Aspect Ratio: 16:9
- Story Text: Brazilian physician Vinicius Campos is part of perhaps the most important scientific endeavor in the world today: the hunt for a vaccine against the novel coronavirus.
Dr. Campos is one of 2,000 volunteers in Brazil's largest city of Sao Paulo taking part in mass human trials for the experimental coronavirus vaccine developed by researchers at the University of Oxford and AstraZeneca Plc. It is one of the brightest hopes in the global bid to contain the virus.
Developers and researchers are looking to places like Brazil, where the new coronavirus is still spreading fast, to test potential vaccines.
With nearly 1.9 million cases, Brazil has the world's second-worst outbreak behind only the United States. More than 72,000 people have died of COVID-19, the disease caused by the virus, in Brazil.
So-called Phase III trials, involving thousands of human volunteers, began last month in Brazil for the Oxford vaccine.
Volunteers have to record their temperature once a day, fill in an online diary about their condition and attend periodic consultations. Participants, who will be monitored of a year, do not know if they have been given the vaccine or a placebo.
(Production: Pablo Garcia, Sergio Queiroz, Leonardo Benassatto)
- Copyright Holder: REUTERS
- Usage Terms/Restrictions: None