- Title: France's Macron meets Spain's Sanchez in Paris
- Date: 15th July 2020
- Summary: PARIS, FRANCE (JULY 15, 2020) (REUTERS) FRENCH PRESIDENT, EMMANUEL MACRON, WALKING TOWARDS ELYSEE PRESIDENTIAL PALACE STEPS CAR TRANSPORTING SPANISH PRIME MINISTER, PEDRO SANCHEZ, ARRIVING / SANCHEZ EXITING CAR, BEING GREETED BY MACRON / SANCHEZ AND MACRON WALKING UP STEPS, POSING FOR PHOTOS, ENTERING ELYSEE REPUBLICAN GUARDS SANCHEZ AND MACRON MEETING SANCHEZ DURING MEETING MACRON DURING MEETING
- Embargoed: 29th July 2020 14:32
- Keywords: Elysee Emmanuel Macron France Paris Pedro Sanchez Spain meeting
- Location: PARIS, FRANCE
- City: PARIS, FRANCE
- Country: France
- Topics: Diplomacy/Foreign Policy,Government/Politics
- Reuters ID: LVA001CMX7T53
- Aspect Ratio: 16:9
- Story Text: French President Emmanuel Macron welcomed Spanish Prime Minister Pedro Sanchez in Paris on Wednesday (July 15), days before a European Union summit where leaders are expected to haggle over stimulus plans for pandemic-hit countries of the bloc.
Sanchez headed to Paris after meeting with his Swedish counterpart Stefan Lofven in Stockholm.
EU leaders will meet in Brussels on Friday (July 17) and Saturday (July 18) in their first face-to-face summit since lockdowns began in March, and the discussions are expected to be fraught with division.
Leaders of the bloc have held a flurry of one-on-one meetings to persuade thrifty Sweden, the Netherlands, Austria and Denmark to drop their opposition to the 750-billion euro ($850 billion) recovery fund proposal.
Under the Commission's proposal, which is backed by Germany and France as well as southern countries such as Spain and Italy that are seeking funds to rebuild their hard-hit economies, two-thirds of the recovery fund would be in the form of grants.
(Production: Antony Paone, Ardee Napolitano, Michaela Cabrera)
- Copyright Holder: REUTERS
- Usage Terms/Restrictions: None