- Title: China says it will act to protect its interests after UK Huawei ban
- Date: 15th July 2020
- Summary: BEIJING, CHINA (JULY 15, 2020) (REUTERS) CHINESE FOREIGN MINISTRY SPOKESWOMAN HUA CHUNYING ARRIVING AT NEWS CONFERENCE JOURNALISTS SEATED (SOUNDBITE) (Mandarin) CHINESE FOREIGN MINISTRY SPOKESWOMAN, HUA CHUNYING, SAYING: "China firmly opposes this. This is not a problem of a company or an industry. It is a problem that the U.K. has highly politicised business and technology at all costs." NEWS CONFERENCE IN PROGRESS (SOUNDBITE) (Mandarin) CHINESE FOREIGN MINISTRY SPOKESWOMAN, HUA CHUNYING, SAYING: "China is deeply concerned and reminds all Chinese companies in the U.K. to pay close attention to the heightened political safety issues when conducting business in the U.K. China will look at this issue seriously and comprehensively, and take all measures to protect Chinese companies' legitimate rights and interests." NEWS CONFERENCE IN PROGRESS CHINA'S FOREIGN MINISTRY CHINESE FLAG FLYING
- Embargoed: 29th July 2020 10:59
- Keywords: 5G Boris Johnson Britain China Donald Trump Huawei U.K.
- Location: BEIJING, CHINA
- City: BEIJING, CHINA
- Country: China
- Topics: Diplomacy/Foreign Policy,Government/Politics
- Reuters ID: LVA001CMX535Z
- Aspect Ratio: 16:9
- Story Text: China said on Wednesday (July 15) it will take all necessary measures to safeguard its interests following Britain's decision to purge all Huawei Technologies Co. Ltd. equipment from its 5G network by the end of 2027.
Chinese foreign ministry spokeswoman Hua Chunying told reporters that China strongly opposes Britain's decision and said the decision was driven by the politicisation of commercial and technological issues and not by national security.
British Prime Minister Boris Johnson on Tuesday (July 14) ordered Huawei equipment to be purged completely from Britain's 5G network by the end of 2027, risking the ire of China by signalling that the world's biggest telecoms equipment maker was not welcome in the West.
(Production: Shubing Wang, Fang Nanlin)
- Copyright Holder: REUTERS
- Copyright Notice: (c) Copyright Thomson Reuters 2020. Open For Restrictions - http://about.reuters.com/fulllegal.asp
- Usage Terms/Restrictions: None