- Title: Burberry's first-quarter like-for-like sales drop 45%
- Date: 15th July 2020
- Summary: HANDBAGS ON DISPLAY IN STORE WINDOW
- Embargoed: 29th July 2020 08:35
- Keywords: Burberry Burberry group results Burberry results Macro Gobbetti company news fashion
- Location: LONDON, ENGLAND, UK / UNKNOWN LOCATION
- City: LONDON, ENGLAND, UK / UNKNOWN LOCATION
- Country: United Kingdom
- Topics: Company News Markets,Economic Events
- Reuters ID: LVA003CMXTOY5
- Aspect Ratio: 16:9
- Story Text:British fashion brand Burberry said on Wednesday (15 July) that demand was severely impacted by COVID-19 in the first quarter, with comparable sales falling 45%, although the decline eased to 20% in June driven by growth in mainland China and South Korea.
Chief Executive Marco Gobbetti said it would take time for luxury demand to return to pre-crisis levels with the resumption of overseas travel, but he was "encouraged by the improving trends in all regions and the promising exit rate for June."
Analysts had expected first-quarter like-for-like sales to fall 49%, according to a company-compiled consensus.
Burberry said it expected revenue in its second quarter to remain impacted by the pandemic, with negligible tourists flows hitting sales from traveling shoppers and some of its stores remaining closed and others operating with reduced hours.
It said that based on the 20% decline recorded in June it expected to see a decline of 15-20% in its second quarter.
Burberry reported total retail revenue of 257 million pounds, down 48%, in its first quarter
(Production: Louisa Naks)
- Copyright Holder: FILE REUTERS (CAN SELL)
- Copyright Notice: (c) Copyright Thomson Reuters 2020. Open For Restrictions - http://about.reuters.com/fulllegal.asp
- Usage Terms/Restrictions: None