- Title: India ramps up coronavirus curbs locally as new clusters emerge
- Date: 15th July 2020
- Summary: BENGALURU, KARNATAKA, INDIA (JULY 15, 2020) (ANI - NO USE INDIA) VARIOUS OF DESERTED BUS STATION SIGNBOARD, READING (English and Kannada): "BUS TERMINAL" BENGALURU MUNICIPAL CORPORATION TRANSPORTATION BUSES POLICE AND OTHERS NEAR BUSES PEOPLE BOARDING BUS VEHICLE PASSING THROUGH MARKET AREA WOMEN WEARING MASKS WALKING ON LARGELY DESERTED ROAD SHUT MARKET (SOUNDBITE) (Hindi) MIGRANT WORKER IN BENGALURU, PRAHLAD, SAYING: "We didn't know that all of a sudden, lockdown will be re-imposed. We were told a day before yesterday that lockdown will be imposed till July 22. So, the buses are not running but we have to go, it's an emergency." PUNE, MAHARASHTRA, INDIA (JULY 15, 2020) (ANI - NO USE INDIA) VARIOUS OF POLICE CHECKING RELEVANT DOCUMENTS TO ALLOW PEOPLE ON VEHICLES TO PASS (SOUNDBITE) (Hindi) POLICE INSPECTOR, SWARGATE POLICE STATION PUNE, SHABBIR SAYYED, SAYING: "We are checking the identity cards of everyone since morning. We are letting go only those people who are out for some essential work. People are anyway not stepping out needlessly. People of Pune are following the rules of lockdown." BARRICADING ON ROAD DESERTED MARKET AREA AND SHUT SHOPS
- Embargoed: 29th July 2020 07:10
- Keywords: Bengaluru COVID-19 India Pune coronavirus disease lockdown social distancing traffic
- Location: BENGALURU, KARNATAKA/PUNE, MAHARASHTRA, INDIA
- City: BENGALURU, KARNATAKA/PUNE, MAHARASHTRA, INDIA
- Country: India
- Topics: Health/Medicine
- Reuters ID: LVA001CMX6K3Z
- Aspect Ratio: 16:9
- Story Text:India's tech capital of Bengaluru began a new, week-long lockdown on Tuesday (July 14) after a surge in cases following the easing of restrictions.
From about 1,000 cases on June 19, when Bengaluru, home to some of the world's biggest IT firms such as Infosys, was believed to have escaped the worst thanks to contact tracing, it has gone up to nearly 20,000.
Health experts say the movement of people following the lifting of a nationwide lockdown in June has led to the city falling back. Other cities, including Pune, and Aurangabad, have also re-imposed curbs in recent days.
Places of worship, public transport, government offices and most shops will close again and people will be confined to their homes, only allowed out for essential needs.
Schools, colleges and restaurants will remain shut, authorities said.
India reported a spike of 29,429 cases and 582 deaths in the last 24 hours, taking the number of total positive cases to 936,181 including 319,840 active cases.
- Copyright Holder: ANI (India)
- Usage Terms/Restrictions: None