- Title: Tennis tournament bett1ACES wants to commit to sports tourism in Mallorca
- Date: 15th July 2020
- Summary: BERLIN, GERMANY (JULY 15, 2020) (REUTERS) ***WARNING: CONTAINS FLASH PHOTOGRAPHY*** VARIOUS OF PHOTO-OP OF (LEFT TO RIGHT) TENNIS PLAYER ROBERTO BAUTISTA AGUT, MINISTER OF SPORTS AND TOURISM OF MALLORCA, ANDREU SERRA, TENNIS PLAYER ANASTASIJA SEVASTOVA AND CEO AND FOUNDER OF EMOTION GROUP, EDWIN WEINDORFER TENNIS NET AT PRESSER NEWS CONFERENCE WITH SERRA SPEAKING (SOUNDBITE) (Spanish) MINISTER FOR SPORTS AND TOURISM OF MALLORCA, ANDREU SERRA, SAYING: "Obviously, most case are isolated cases. The citizens of Mallorca as well as most of the many tourists who come to visit are following the rules. The proof is that we don't have any outbreaks on the tourist side or anything related to tourism. We have a minimal number of incidents, and that shows that we are doing things right. There are two streets in particular where we have had to take measures. We believe that is important in order to be able to go on with the tourist season and make sure the people have as good an experience as we have been doing since the very beginning." JOURNALIST WRITING JOURNALIST WITH MASK RECORDING OFF SPEAKER (SOUNDBITE) (Spanish) MINISTER FOR SPORTS AND TOURISM OF MALLORCA, ANDREU SERRA, SAYING: "For us, safety has been key to be able to relaunch our business activity, our main activity: tourism. For that we have restlessly worked with all the parts involved in the world of tourism, that is, hotels, transport, infrastructure, to make sure that sports and tourism is safe. By that I mean keeping a safety distance, using face masks and keeping up personal hygiene. And all of that is covered." TENNIS PLAYER ANASTASIJA SEVASTOVA LISTENING (SOUNDBITE) (Spanish) MINISTER FOR SPORTS AND TOURISM OF MALLORCA, ANDREU SERRA, SAYING: "Right now we only have 128 active cases out of a million residents in Mallorca and we have an up to date healthcare infrastructure with almost no incidents." OVERSIZED TENNIS BALLS TENNIS PLAYER ROBERTO BAUTISTA AGUT NEWS CONFERENCE SERRA
- Embargoed: 29th July 2020 11:05
- Keywords: Mallorca bett1ACES sports tourism tennis tournament
- Location: BERLIN, GERMANY
- City: BERLIN, GERMANY
- Country: Germany
- Topics: Sport,Tennis
- Reuters ID: LVA001CMX6S07
- Aspect Ratio: 16:9
- Story Text: Mallorca's Minister for Sports and Tourism Andreu Serra said on Wednesday (July 15) the famous holiday spot was a safe place to be despite "a few isolated cases" of coronavirus positives.
"Right now we only have 128 active cases out of a million residents on Mallorca and we have an up to date healthcare infrastructure with almost no incidents," he told reporters at a news conference at the bett1ACES tournament in Berlin.
Mallorca, which has contributed to the history of tennis by producing ATP World No. 1 players Carlos Moya and Rafael Nadal, was expected to hold its first ATP grass court tournament in June.
But the championship was postponed to 2021 because of the coronavirus pandemic.
Serra, a strong advocate for promoting sports tourism on the island, said "safety measures had been key to relaunch our business activity", that is, tourism, which accounts for 35% of the Balearics' GDP.
"We have a minimal number of incidents, and that shows that we are doing things right," he said, despite recent pictures showing tourists ignoring hygiene and safety rules at the island's party mile, the Ballermann.
Authorities on the island announced on Wednesday that all bars at the Ballermann party mile would remain closed until further notice.
(Production: Stefan Remter, Ute Swart, Elena Gyldenkerne)
- Copyright Holder: REUTERS
- Usage Terms/Restrictions: None