- Title: In COVID crackdown, masks a must on southern Spain beaches
- Date: 15th July 2020
- Summary: RONDA, SPAIN (JULY 15, 2020) (REUTERS) VARIOUS OF PEOPLE WEARING MASKS WALKING ON THE STREET PEOPLE WEARING MASKS PASSING BY, FIGURE OF COW WEARING MASK AT SHOP'S ENTRANCE VARIOUS OF PEOPLE WEARING MASKS PASSING BY CUEVAS DEL BECERRO, SPAIN (JULY 12, 2020) (REUTERS) SIGN READING (in Spanish) "WELCOME TO CUEVAS DEL BECERRO" PEOPLE WEARING MASKS WALKING ANDALUSIAN, SPANISH AND EUROPEAN FLAGS ELDERLY MEN WEARING MASKS SITTING ON BENCH VARIOUS OF MAN PUSHING WHEELBARROW MAN APPROACHING POOL AND DIVING VARIOUS OF MAN SWIMMING SIGN READING (in Spanish) "MUNICIPALITY POOL CUEVAS DEL BECERRO, KEEP SAFE DISTANCE" MAN SWIMMING VARIOUS OF LIFEGUARD AIDA ESCOLANTE WEARING MASK OBSERVING POOL (SOUNDBITE) (Spanish) LIFEGUARD, AIDA ESCOLANTE, 20, SAYING: "It is mandatory to wear a mask where it involves any type of movement other than being in the water or on the corresponding (sunbathing) area." SIGN READING (in Spanish) "MUNICIPALITY POOL CUEVAS DEL BECERRO, KEEP SAFE DISTANCE," CHILDREN'S POOL ESCOLANTE OBSERVING POOL VARIOUS OF ESCOLANTE WORKING (SOUNDBITE) (Spanish) LIFEGUARD, AIDA ESCOLANTE, 20, SAYING: "They have to wear their mask when they go to the toilet or the bar." WOMAN DOING EXERCISE AT POOL ESCOLANTE TALKING TO SWIMMERS SIGN READING (in Spanish) "CAPACITY ON THE GRASS 17O PEOPLE, ON THE POOL 120 PEOPLE", POOL IN THE BACKGROUND POOL BOARD WITH POOL'S TIMETABLE MARKS ON THE GROUND READING (in Spanish) "PLEASE KEEP SOCIAL DISTANCE" VARIOUS OF "LA PISCINA" RESTAURANT
- Embargoed: 29th July 2020 15:50
- Keywords: COVID outbreaks Ronda coronavirus in Spain mandatory masks in Andalusia pools
- Location: ALMERIA, CORDOBA, RONDA & CUEVAS DEL BECERRO, SPAIN
- City: ALMERIA, CORDOBA, RONDA & CUEVAS DEL BECERRO, SPAIN
- Country: Spain
- Topics: Health/Medicine
- Reuters ID: LVA002CMX7ZGN
- Aspect Ratio: 16:9
- Story Text: Spain's southern region of Andalusia made masks mandatory at all times on Wednesday (July 15), even on the beach and by the pool, to prevent the spread of coronavirus.
Emergency services workers informed swimmers they should wear masks whenever they move around the beach and told them it is not necessary during sunbathing if people maintain social distance. The rule is the same at swimming pools.
At a pool in Cordoba, people said the measure was something positive since they consider people are not following social distance regulations.
Catalonia and the Balearic Islands made masks mandatory earlier in the week even when social distancing can be observed, but do not require face coverings poolside or on the beach.
Tourism-dependent Spain, one of Europe's hardest-hit countries with more than 28,000 deaths from the pandemic, brought a tough national lockdown to an end on June 21.
Since then, more than 170 clusters have sprung up, prompting regional authorities to impose a patchwork of local restrictions, confusing locals and angering businesses.
(Production: Jon Nazca, Elena Rodriguez)
- Copyright Holder: REUTERS
- Usage Terms/Restrictions: None