- Title: Fundraising veteran Captain Tom to receive knighthood
- Date: 15th July 2020
- Summary: BEDFORDSHIRE, ENGLAND, UNITED KINGDOM (FILE - APRIL 15, 2020) (REUTERS) VARIOUS OF THEN 99-YEAR-OLD (NOW 100) BRITISH ARMY VETERAN, THEN CAPTAIN TOM MOORE, WALKING LAPS OF HIS GARDEN WITH WALKING FRAME
- Embargoed: 29th July 2020 10:15
- Keywords: 100th birthday British Army veteran COVID-19 Captain Tom Moore NHS Queen Elizabeth coronavirus fundraising knighthood sponsored walk
- Location: BEDFORDSHIRE AND LONDON, ENGLAND, UNITED KINGDOM
- City: BEDFORDSHIRE AND LONDON, ENGLAND, UNITED KINGDOM
- Country: United Kingdom
- Topics: Arts / Culture / Entertainment,Royals
- Reuters ID: LVA001CMX75FR
- Aspect Ratio: 16:9
- Story Text: Fundraising British Army veteran Captain Tom Moore is to be knighted by Queen Elizabeth at Windsor Castle on Friday (July 17).
The 100-year-old received support across the UK during the nationwide coronavirus lockdown, where he raised more than 32 million pounds ($40 million) for the National Health Service with a sponsored walk in his Bedfordshire back garden.
Buckingham Palace confirmed the knighthood on Wednesday (July 15).
Moore's family will accompany him to the private ceremony, with public viewing access not permitted due to ongoing concerns over the spread of the coronavirus.
(Production: Ben Dangerfield)
- Copyright Holder: FILE REUTERS (CAN SELL)
- Usage Terms/Restrictions: None