- Title: Wildfire southeast of Athens threatens homes
- Date: 16th July 2020
- Summary: LAVRIO, GREECE (JULY 16, 2020) (REUTERS) VARIOUS OF FIRE BURNING TREES IN FOREST FIREFIGHTING PLANE DOUSING FIRE A SECOND FIREFIGHTING PLANE DOUSING FIRE A THIRD FIREFIGHTING PLANE DOUSING FIRE VARIOUS OF FLAMES RISING HELICOPTER POURING WATER ON FIRE BLACK SMOKE FROM FIRE VARIOUS OF FIGHTEIGHTING PLANES DROPPING WATER SMOKE ALONG HILL VAROUSOF PLANES AND HELICOPTERS DROPPING WATER SMOKE AMONG TREES IN FOREST, FIRE VEHICLE IN FOREST VARIOUS OF FIREFIGHTERS IN FOREST, ONE SPRAYING FIRE WITH HOSE
- Embargoed: 30th July 2020 18:51
- Keywords: fire greece lavrio
- Location: LAVRIO, GREECE
- City: LAVRIO, GREECE
- Country: Greece
- Topics: Disaster/Accidents,Wildfires/Forest Fires
- Reuters ID: LVA001CN297IF
- Aspect Ratio: 16:9
- Story Text: A large wildfire fuelled by strong winds threatened homes southeast of Athens on Thursday (July 16) causing the pre-emptive evacuation of neighbourhoods and camps.
Three suburbs, a hotel, a migrants camp and a children's summer camp were evacuated as a precaution by fire-fighters around the coastal town of Lavrio, some 60 km from Athens, as 19 fire engines, two firefighting planes and four helicopters worked to douse the blaze.
Police closed off major roads in the area and diverted traffic. The cause of the fire is not yet known.
Greece is often plagued by wildfires during the summer months often due to neglect or arson.
A deadly fire on the east coast of Athens in 2018 in the summer seaside resort of Mati killed 100, including children, in the space of hours, in one of the worst fires in the country's history.
(Production: Vassilis Triandafyllou, Deborah Kyvrikosaios)
- Copyright Holder: REUTERS
- Copyright Notice: (c) Copyright Thomson Reuters 2020. Open For Restrictions - http://about.reuters.com/fulllegal.asp
- Usage Terms/Restrictions: None