- Title: North Macedonians optimistic after pro-EU party wins most votes
- Date: 16th July 2020
- Summary: SKOPJE, NORTH MACEDONIA (JULY 16, 2020) (REUTERS) MAIN CITY SQUARE MONUMENT TO ALEXANDER THE GREAT (ANCIENT MACEDONIAN RULER, ALEXANDER III OF MACEDON) CITY STREET/PEOPLE DRIVING/WALKING DAILY NEWSPAPERS ON NEWSSTAND PAGE OF 'SLOBODEN PECAT' NEWSPAPER, HEADLINE READING (Macedonian): "Tight victory of SDSM and (opposition coalition), "We can"
- Embargoed: 30th July 2020 11:32
- Keywords: North Macedonia Skopje election results pro-EU reaction
- Location: SKOPJE, NORTH MACEDONIA
- City: SKOPJE, NORTH MACEDONIA
- Country: Macedonia
- Topics: Government/Politics,Elections/Voting
- Reuters ID: LVA001CN27W3D
- Aspect Ratio: 16:9
- Story Text:North Macedonia's Social Democrats who pledged to take the Balkan country to the European Union (EU) are set to win Wednesday's (July 15) parliamentary vote, according to preliminary results.
The ruling SDSM party won 36.9% of the votes, while its main rival, nationalist VMRO-DPMNE, came second with 35.9%, according to the results based on 71% of the votes counted.
The vote was originally scheduled for April but postponed due to the coronavirus outbreak.
The former Yugoslav republic of 2 million people has so far reported a total of 8,530 infections and 393 deaths due to the coronavirus.
An SDSM victory could be seen as lending momentum to Skopje's membership talks with the EU.
(Production: Branko Filipovic, Fedja Grulovic, Natasa Bansagi)
- Copyright Holder: REUTERS
- Copyright Notice: (c) Copyright Thomson Reuters 2020. Open For Restrictions - http://about.reuters.com/fulllegal.asp
- Usage Terms/Restrictions: None