- Title: Floods ravage eastern India as coronavirus infections surge
- Date: 16th July 2020
- Summary: GUWAHATI, ASSAM, INDIA (JULY 16, 2020) (ANI - NO USE INDIA) OVERFLOWING BRAHMAPUTRA RIVER PARTIALLY SUBMERGED TREE VARIOUS OF FLOODED MARKET AREA FLOOD WATER AROUND GOVERNMENT BUILDING FLOODED MARKET MAN SITTING AT HOME SURROUNDED BY FLOOD WATER VARIOUS OF PEOPLE WADING THROUGH FLOOD WATER MAN PADDLING IN BOAT IN FLOODED RESIDENTIAL AREA (SOUNDBITE) (Hindi) GUWAHATI RESIDENT, NIPIN, SAYING: "It has been three days since this area flooded. Although it happens every year, it does not happen on this scale. My house and everything has been submerged. There is waist-deep water-logging in our area." CHAMPARAN, BIHAR, INDIA (JULY 16, 2020) (ANI - NO USE INDIA) PEOPLE GATHERING PARTIALLY COLLAPSED BRIDGE WATER FLOWING THROUGH COLLAPSED PART OF THE BRIDGE PEOPLE GATHERING NEAR WATER WATER FLOWING UNDER BRIDGE
- Embargoed: 30th July 2020 10:01
- Keywords: Assam Bihar COVID-19 India coronavirus flooding
- Location: GUWAHATI, ASSAM AND CHAMPARAN, BIHAR, INDIA
- City: GUWAHATI, ASSAM AND CHAMPARAN, BIHAR, INDIA
- Country: India
- Topics: Disaster/Accidents,Floods
- Reuters ID: LVA001CN24WNB
- Aspect Ratio: 16:9
- Story Text: Monsoon floods have swamped large parts of India's densely populated eastern states, forcing more than a million people into makeshift shelters despite the risk of coronavirus, senior officials said on Thursday (July 16).
Torrential annual rains are crucial for agriculture in South Asia, but this year India is also grappling with the virus, which has infected 968,875 people and killed 24,915, health authorities say.
The floods have killed at least 10 people and injured more than 70 in the states of Assam, Bihar and Jharkhand, where heavy rain has submerged thousands of villages in the past 24 hours as authorities battle to ensure social distancing in relief camps.
The Brahmaputra River, one of the largest rivers in the world which flows from Tibet into India and then Bangladesh, burst its banks in Assam over the weekend, inundating more than 2,000 villages.
In the eastern state of Bihar, footage from Reuters partner ANI showed a recently-constructed bridge that had collapsed early on Thursday due to extreme water pressure.
- Copyright Holder: ANI (India)
- Copyright Notice: (c) Copyright Thomson Reuters 2020. Open For Restrictions - http://about.reuters.com/fulllegal.asp
- Usage Terms/Restrictions: None