- Title: Celebrations muted by COVID-19 fears as Real Madrid seals La Liga title
- Date: 16th July 2020
- Summary: MADRID, SPAIN (JULY 16, 2020) (REUTERS) POLICE VANS IN FRONT OF CIBELES SQUARE AS CARS BLOW THEIR HORNS AFTER REAL MADRID WINNING LA LIGA, CITY HALL BUILDING IN BACKGROUND CIBELES SQUARE / FLAME ON TORCH TO PAY TRIBUTE TO COVID-19 VICTIMS POLICE VANS DRIVING PAST CAR WITH REAL MADRID FLAG DRIVING PAST WOMAN WAVING REAL MADRID FLAG AND RECORDING WITH PHONE AS HER CAR DRIVES PAST CIBELES SQUARE PEOPLE IN FRONT OF SQUARE / POLICE WATCHING TO MAKE SURE SOCIAL DISTANCING IS RESPECTED VARIOUS OF POLICE TELLING PEOPLE NOT TO GATHER AND TO RESPECT SOCIAL DISTANCING REAL MADRID FANS CELEBRATING MOTORBIKE WITH SPANISH FLAG DRIVING PAST CIBELES SQUARE VARIOUS OF POLICE PRESENCE NEAR SQUARE CAR DRIVING PAST WITH REAL MADRID FLAG (SOUNDBITE) (Spanish) REAL MADRID FAN FROM VENEZUELA, NESTOR GONZALEZ, SAYING: "Great, I feel great. It has been a completely different league and not normal at all but it's excellent. At the end what is important is to win the championship." (SOUNDBITE) (Spanish) REAL MADRID FAN, CRISTIAN, SAYING: "Happy, very happy because after everything that has happened this year with the pandemic with so many that have died in Madrid, we have to try and celebrate this victory in their memory. I had many friends and some have died who were from Real Madrid. So in their memory this title is very special because everything that has happened." (SOUNDBITE) (Spanish) REAL MADRID FAN FROM PERU, GIANFRANCO PEREZ, SAYING: "It's a bit sad you know? When I came here last year it was full and even the players came. Now they are not coming and it is a bit sad for the fans." (SOUNDBITE) (Italian) REAL MADRID FAN ITALY, MAURIZIO MARTUCI, SAYING: "I am very happy, I'm from Italy and have been living here for six months because I'm on Erasmus, and I'm happy because I was able to see Real Madrid's victory here. They haven't won it (the title) for three years and finally we have beaten Barcelona." (SOUNDBITE) (Spanish) REAL MADRID FAN, ANDRES DIAZ, SAYING: "Honestly, I'm studying here and was hoping this year to celebrate as it's deserved but it's complicated with all this issue. Now the important thing is to be conscious of the situation and we will see how we celebrate. But of course we will celebrate it." VARIOUS OF DIAZ TALKING WITH FRIEND CAR WITH REAL MADRID FLAG DRIVING PAST VARIOUS OF REAL MADRID SCARF on CIBELES GODDESS STATUE CARS DRIVING PAST POLICE VAN DRIVING AWAY POLICE VANS AT CIBELES SQUARE VARIOUS OF CARS HOOTING AS THEY DRIVE PAST FLAME ON TRIBUTE TORCH / POLICE VANS AND CIBELES SQUARE IN THE BACKGROUND POLICE VAN AT CIBELES
- Embargoed: 30th July 2020 23:54
- Keywords: COVID-19 Cibeles square La Liga champions Real Madrid celebrations Spanish police
- Location: MADRID, SPAIN
- City: MADRID, SPAIN
- Country: Spain
- Topics: Soccer,Sport
- Reuters ID: LVA001CN291Z3
- Aspect Ratio: 16:9
- Story Text: Real Madrid clinched their 34th league title with a 2-1 victory over Villarreal on Thursday (July 16) after winning all 10 matches since the season returned following a three-month hiatus due to the COVID-19 pandemic.
The title win was like no other for Real, who lifted the trophy at an empty Alfredo di Stefano stadium in their training ground, their temporary home while the Santiago Bernabeu undergoes renovation work.
Heavy police presence was seen at the Cibeles fountain in the centre of Madrid, where fans usually celebrate, to prevent mass gatherings as the country grapples with the novel coronavirus outbreak.
Police officers were asking people to respect social distancing as a muted celebration broke out following Real Madrid's victory. Fans blew their car horns and waved Real Madrid flags as they were drove past the Cibeles fountain.
Some fans were delighted by the new league title of Los Blancos, a reference to the team's all white primary kit, while another fan paid tribute to Real Madrid fans that had lost their lives after contracting COVID-19.
The team did not take part in their usual open-top bus parade to the Cibeles fountain because of coronavirus spread fears.
(Production: Michael Gore, Miguel Gutierrez)
- Copyright Holder: REUTERS
- Copyright Notice: (c) Copyright Thomson Reuters 2020. Open For Restrictions - http://about.reuters.com/fulllegal.asp
- Usage Terms/Restrictions: None