- Title: Brazil's Bolsonaro tests positive for coronavirus again
- Date: 16th July 2020
- Summary: BRASILIA, BRAZIL (JULY 15, 2020) (REUTERS) BOLSONARO PICKING UP FEATHER FROM THE GROUND VARIOUS OF BOLSONARO STANDING WITH FEATHER IN HIS FRONT POCKET BOLSONARO WITH FACE MASK MEDIA GATHERED, BOLSONARO IN THE BACKGROUND BOLSONARO WITH FACE MASK BOLSONARO WITH OFFICIALS BEHIND HIM
- Embargoed: 30th July 2020 01:13
- Keywords: Brasilia Brazil COVID-19 President Jair Bolsonaro coronavirus pandemic positive test
- Location: BRASILIA, BRAZIL
- City: BRASILIA, BRAZIL
- Country: Brazil
- Topics: Health/Medicine
- Reuters ID: LVA003CN269MV
- Aspect Ratio: 16:9
- Story Text: Brazilian President Jair Bolsonaro has again tested positive for coronavirus, he told reporters on Wednesday (July 15) in Brasilia, suggesting he has yet to recover from an infection first diagnosed last week.
Since catching the virus, the president has said he remains in good health and he would resume his normal work schedule if he tested negative this week. On Wednesday he said he would get tested again in a few days.
Bolsonaro, a former army captain, first announced his diagnosis on July 7 after dismissing the severity of the COVID-19 pandemic, calling it a "little flu" even as Brazil's outbreak became the worst in the world outside the United States.
He played down the country's mounting death toll - now over 74,000, out of nearly 2 million confirmed cases - and said his good physical condition would prevent him from developing serious symptoms if he got ill.
Bolsonaro has also sidelined medical experts in Brazil's handling of the pandemic, pushed back against state and city lockdowns and circulated often in public without a mask, drawing criticism from public health specialists.
He has also said he was taking the anti-malarial drug hydroxychloroquine, an unproven COVID-19 treatment that he and U.S. President Donald Trump have touted as a remedy for the coronavirus.
(Production: Leonardo Benassatto, Paul Vieira)
- Copyright Holder: REUTERS
- Copyright Notice: (c) Copyright Thomson Reuters 2020. Open For Restrictions - http://about.reuters.com/fulllegal.asp
- Usage Terms/Restrictions: None