- Title: Jada Pinkett Smith confirms August Alsina affair on her talk show
- Date: 13th July 2020
- Summary: NEW YORK CITY, NEW YORK, UNITED STATES (FILE - NOVEMBER 4, 2019) (REUTERS) ***WARNING: CONTAINS FLASH PHOTOGRAPHY*** (SOUNDBITE) (English) HOST OF RED TABLE TALK, JADA PINKETT SMITH, SAYING: "Well, for me, I know a lot of people call it a talk show, but I like to think of it more like a storytelling show, right. So, it's actually, it's seemingly different than what I've done before, but not really because I've always been very inquisitive when it came to people's stories. You know, it just so happens now I have a platform where I can just, ask people questions about their lives and things that they've learned about their life lessons and what they've learned about, you know, their victories and failures, so." LOS ANGELES, CALIFORNIA, UNITED STATES (FILE - MAY 21, 2019) (REUTERS) WILL SMITH AND WIFE JADA PINKETT SMITH POSING FOR PHOTOGRAPHERS AT "ALADDIN" VARIOUS OF SMITH, PINKETT SMITH AND THEIR CHILDREN, TREY SMITH, WILLOW SMITH AND JADEN SMITH, POSING FOR PHOTOGRAPHERS ON CARPET LOS ANGELES, CALIFORNIA, UNITED STATES (FILE - DECEMBER 1, 2017) (REUTERS) JADA PINKETT SMITH POSING FOR PHOTOGRAPHS AT THE JADA PINKETT SMITH POSING FOR PHOTOGRAPHS PASADENA, CALIFORNIA, UNITED STATES (FILE - FEBRUARY 5, 2016) (REUTERS) ACTORS AND HUSBAND AND WIFE WILL SMITH AND JADA PINKETT SMITH ARRIVING AND POSING FOR PHOTOGRAPHS AT THE NAACP IMAGE AWARDS PINKETT SMITH POSING WILL SMITH GOES TO GREET AN ACTOR
- Embargoed: 27th July 2020 13:46
- Keywords: Red Table Talk Will Smith actress and talk show host Jada Pinkett Smith brief affair singer-songwriter August Alsina
- Location: LOS ANGELES AND PASADENA, CALIFORNIA, AND NEW YORK, NEW YORK, UNITED STATES/ INTERNET
- City: LOS ANGELES AND PASADENA, CALIFORNIA, AND NEW YORK, NEW YORK, UNITED STATES/ INTERNET
- Country: USA
- Topics: Celebrities,Arts / Culture / Entertainment
- Reuters ID: LVA004CMN8DAL
- Aspect Ratio: 16:9
- Story Text: Jada Pinkett Smith said she "got into an entanglement" with August Alsina when asked by her husband on her internet talk show recently.
The American actress and chat show host spoke candidly on "Red Table Talk" as she became the interviewee across the other side of the red table, after being asked by actor Will Smith about her relationship with the "I Luv This Shit" and "No Love" singer-songwriter, 27.
"We were over," Pinkett Smith said, after agreeing that she and Smith decided to separate to find out what made each of them "happy".
"Then what did you do, Jada?" asked Smith.
"From there, as time went on, I got into a different kind of entanglement with August," said Pinkett Smith, 48, of her friendship with the younger New Orleans-born singer.
Clearing up recent media reports of her husband giving his blessing to the affair, Pinkett Smith said Alsina would have "seen it as permission because we were separated amicably".
"He also wanted to make it clear that he is not a home-wrecker, which he is not," she added.
Smith then asked his wife to say "clearly what happened" about where they were at that time in their relationship.
"I got into an entanglement with August," said Pinkett Smith, with Smith asking her to confirm that it was a "relationship".
"I was in a lot of pain, and I was very broken," said Pinkett Smith. "In the process of that relationship, I found you definitely can't find happiness outside of yourself."
In healing their relationship by giving each other space, they realised they could not be apart.
When questioned by Smith about what she was looking for from her "interaction" with Alsina, Pinkett Smith replied: "I just wanted to feel good". She added how it was a "joy to help heal somebody" like Alsina.
Pinkett Smith added she thought she could fix her childhood trauma through fixing someone else, "verses fixing me". She went on to say that going through that "process" with Alsina taught her that. She is "really grateful for that lesson".
Pinkett Smith went on to say she does not see it as a "transgression" but as a learning experience and healing process.
She has not spoken to Alsina since she got back together with Smith.
Pinkett Smith also said that she is "grateful for the journey" they have gone through as a couple who have been together for 25 years.
Ending the interview joking with Smith about being in a "bad marriage for life", her husband reminded her of what he said in the first year of marriage that he can "love you through anything".
(Production: Lisa Giles-Keddie)
- Copyright Holder: FILE REUTERS (CAN SELL)
- Copyright Notice: (c) Copyright Thomson Reuters 2020. Open For Restrictions - http://about.reuters.com/fulllegal.asp
- Usage Terms/Restrictions: None