- Title: EU top court rejects EU-U.S. data transfer tool, backs another tool
- Date: 16th July 2020
- Summary: NEW YORK, NEW YORK, UNITED STATES (FILE) (REUTERS) VARIOUS OF FACEBOOK WEBSITE ON LAPTOP
- Embargoed: 30th July 2020 09:24
- Keywords: Court of Justice of the European Union EU European Union Facebook data privacy ruling
- Location: LUXEMBOURG, LUXEMBOURG / MENLO PARK, CALIFORNIA AND NEW YORK, NEW YORK, UNITED STATES
- City: LUXEMBOURG, LUXEMBOURG / MENLO PARK, CALIFORNIA AND NEW YORK, NEW YORK, UNITED STATES
- Country: Luxembourg
- Topics: Crime/Law/Justice,Judicial Process/Court Cases/Court Decisions
- Reuters ID: LVA001CN27PS7
- Aspect Ratio: 16:9
- Story Text: EDITORS PLEASE NOTE: FOR EDIT OF RULING PLEASE SEE 4144-FACEBOOK-PRIVACY/EU
Europe's top court on Thursday rejected a key EU tool used to transfer Europeans' personal data across the Atlantic for commercial use but upheld the validity of another tool used by hundreds of thousands of companies to transfer data worldwide.
"The Court of Justice invalidates Decision 2016/1250 on the adequacy of the protection provided by the EU-US Data Protection Shield," the court said.
"However, it considers that Commission Decision 2010/87 on standard contractual clauses for the transfer of personal data to processors established in third countries is valid."
The rulings came in a clash between Facebook and Austrian privacy activist Max Schrems.
(Production: Johnny Cotton)
- Copyright Holder: FILE REUTERS (CAN SELL)
- Copyright Notice: (c) Copyright Thomson Reuters 2020. Open For Restrictions - http://about.reuters.com/fulllegal.asp
- Usage Terms/Restrictions: None