- Title: World Surf League cancels 2020 season
- Date: 17th July 2020
- Summary: NAZARE, PORTUGAL (FILE - FEBRUARY 15, 2020) (REUTERS) FINALS ACTION AT NAZARE COMPETITION
- Embargoed: 31st July 2020 18:52
- Keywords: COVID-19 Champions Tour WSL World Surfing League coronavirus
- Location: VARIOUS
- City: VARIOUS
- Country: USA
- Topics: Sport,Surfing
- Reuters ID: LVA003CN787R3
- Aspect Ratio: 16:9
- Story Text: The World Surf League (WSL) officially cancelled the remaining Champions Tour for 2020. The decision was announced by WSL CEO Erik Logan in a video released on Friday (July 17). Logan cited the health and safety of athletes, fans, employees, local communities and the challenges of international travel as the reason for the decision.
"After careful consideration and extensive discussions with key stakeholders, we have made the decision to cancel the 2020 Championship Tour and Qualifying Series seasons due to the COVID-19 pandemic," said WSL CEO Erik Logan in a video released on WSL channels today. "While we firmly believe that surfing is amongst the sports best suited for competition to be held safely during the age of unresolved COVID, we have huge respect for the ongoing concerns of many in our community as the world works to resolve this," Logan said.
The 2021 tour will start in November 2020 in Maui, Hawaii for the women and in December 2020 in Oahu, Hawaii for the men, subject to the approval of the State of Hawaii and local government agencies, as well as effective protocols that allow for safe international travel. The 2021 CT season will finish with 'The WSL Finals,' a new single-day World Title Event in September 2021.
(Production: Peter Bullock)
2021 Championship Tour Season*:
*All events and dates subject to change due to applicable COVID-19 related restrictions, including global travel restrictions.
Shiseido Maui Pro presented by ROXY: Maui, Hawaii | November 25 - December 6, 2020
Billabong Pipe Masters: Oahu, Hawaii | December 8 - 20, 2020
MEO Pro Portugal: Peniche, Portugal | February 18 - 28, 2021
Corona Open Gold Coast presented by Billabong: Queensland, Australia | March 18 - 28, 2021
Rip Curl Pro Bells Beach: Victoria, Australia | April 1 - 11, 2021
Margaret River Pro: Western Australia, Australia | April 16 - 26, 2021
Oi Rio Pro presented by Corona: Saquarema, Brasil | May 20 - 29, 2021
Surf Ranch Pro: California, USA | June 10 - 13, 2021
Quiksilver Pro G-Land: Indonesia | June 20 - 29, 2021
Corona Open J-Bay: South Africa | July 7 - 19, 2021
Outerknown Tahiti Pro: Teahupo'o, Tahiti | August 26 - September 6, 2021
The WSL Finals: Location TBD | September 8 - 16, 2021
- Copyright Holder: FILE REUTERS (CAN SELL)
- Copyright Notice: (c) Copyright Thomson Reuters 2020. Open For Restrictions - http://about.reuters.com/fulllegal.asp
- Usage Terms/Restrictions: None