- Title: Tokyo COVID-19 cases hit record single-day high of 293
- Date: 17th July 2020
- Summary: TOKYO, JAPAN (JULY 15, 2020) (REUTERS) TRAFFIC ON STREET VARIOUS OF PEDESTRIANS WEARING FACE MASKS RESTAURANT STAFF IN FACE MASK STANDING OUTSIDE RESTAURANT MAN IN FACE MASK TAKEOUT BOX TRAFFIC PEDESTRIANS WALKING NEXT TO RESTAURANT SIGNS PEDESTRIANS CROSSING ROAD
- Embargoed: 31st July 2020 08:16
- Keywords: COVID-19 Japan Tokyo Governor Yuriko Koike cases new coronavirus record single day surge
- Location: TOKYO, YOKOHAMA, JAPAN
- City: TOKYO, YOKOHAMA, JAPAN
- Country: Japan
- Topics: Health/Medicine
- Reuters ID: LVA002CN74KLJ
- Aspect Ratio: 16:9
- Story Text: Tokyo Governor Yuriko Koike reported 293 new cases on Friday (July 17), a fresh daily record after the city recorded 286 cases a day earlier.
"The trend here is that young people in their twenties and thirties consist of more than 70% (of all infections)," said Koike, adding that the age range of infected people is widening.
The recent spike of cases in the capital caused an exclusion from the Japanese government's $16 billion "Go To" tourism campaign, which was intended to promote travel across the country.
Japan has reported a total of around 23,000 cases, including nearly 1,000 deaths.
(Production: Hideto Sakai)
- Copyright Holder: REUTERS
- Copyright Notice: (c) Copyright Thomson Reuters 2020. Open For Restrictions - http://about.reuters.com/fulllegal.asp
- Usage Terms/Restrictions: None