- Title: China says a U.S. travel ban for China Communist Party members would be absurd
- Date: 17th July 2020
- Summary: BEIJING, CHINA (JULY 17, 2020) (REUTERS) CHINESE FOREIGN MINISTRY SPOKESWOMAN HUA CHUNYING ARRIVING AT NEWS CONFERENCE JOURNALISTS (SOUNDBITE) (Mandarin) CHINESE FOREIGN MINISTRY SPOKESWOMAN, HUA CHUNYING, SAYING: "But if the report is true, then the U.S. is publicly choosing to be in opposition with 1.4 billion Chinese people, publicly in opposition with Chinese people who are one fifth of the world population. This completely violates the will of the people in the U.S. and China and the trend in 21th century. This is very absurd." NEWS CONFERENCE IN PROGRESS (SOUNDBITE) (Mandarin) CHINESE FOREIGN MINISTRY SPOKESWOMAN, HUA CHUNYING, SAYING: "Neither any country, anyone, nor any force has the qualifications to deny the correct path that has been proven by the Chinese people's choice, nor have any power to stop China from going forward with determination along the socialist path with Chinese characteristics." NEWS CONFERENCE IN PROGRESS CHINA'S FOREIGN MINISTRY CHINESE FLAG FLYING
- Embargoed: 31st July 2020 11:41
- Keywords: Chinese Communist Party Sino-U.S. relation U.S travel ban
- Location: BEIJING, CHINA
- City: BEIJING, CHINA
- Country: China
- Topics: Diplomacy/Foreign Policy,Government/Politics
- Reuters ID: LVA001CN74M6F
- Aspect Ratio: 16:9
- Story Text: Beijing said on Friday (July 17) any travel ban imposed by the United States against members of China's ruling Communist Party would be "absurd" and said such a move would amount to Washington standing in opposition to the entire population of China.
Chinese Foreign Ministry spokeswoman Hua Chunying also told reporters that no country or individual could stop China from developing along a "socialist path with Chinese characteristics", after being asked about a potential travel ban.
The Trump administration is considering banning travel to the United States by all members of the Chinese Communist Party and their families, a person familiar with the matter said on Thursday (July 16).
Such a ban, if implemented, could hit the ruling Communist Party from the highest levels down to its rank-and-file and would be certain to draw retaliation against Americans who travel to China. This could include not only diplomats but also business executives, potentially harming U.S. interests in China.
(Production: Shubing Wang, Fang Nanlin)
- Copyright Holder: REUTERS
- Copyright Notice: (c) Copyright Thomson Reuters 2020. Open For Restrictions - http://about.reuters.com/fulllegal.asp
- Usage Terms/Restrictions: None