- Title: Fighting again in Taiwan parliament over disputed nomination
- Date: 17th July 2020
- Summary: TAIPEI, TAIWAN (JULY 17, 2020) (REUTERS) OPPOSITION KUOMINTANG (KMT) PARTY LAWMAKERS (IN BLUE) STANDING INSIDE TAIWAN PARLIAMENT, HOLDING PLACARDS AND CHANTING (MANDARIN): "THE WATCHDOG IS INVALID, THE VOTE WAS ILLEGAL. THEY CHEATED" KMT LAWMAKERS CHANTING (MANDARIN): "THE VOTE IS ILLEGAL. THEY CHEATED. THE WATCHDOG IS INVALID." VARIOUS OF SCUFFLES BETWEEN KMT LAWMAKERS AND LAWMAKERS FROM RULING DEMOCRATIC PROGRESSIVE PARTY (DPP) PARTY KMT LAWMAKERS FACING DPP LAWMAKERS SPEAKING AT PODIUM PRO-KMT PROTESTER ON GROUND, POLICE OUTSIDE PARLIAMENT / MAN INTERACTING WITH POLICE SCUFFLES BETWEEN POLICE AND PROTESTERS IN FRONT OF VAN POLICE HOLDING SHIELDS, BLOCKING PROTESTERS PRO-KMT PROTESTER AND POLICE STANDING IN STAND-OFF POLICE
- Embargoed: 31st July 2020 06:40
- Keywords: CCP DPP KMT Taiwan fighting parliament taipei watchdog
- Location: TAIPEI, TAIWAN
- City: TAIPEI, TAIWAN
- Country: Taiwan
- Topics: Diplomacy/Foreign Policy,Government/Politics
- Reuters ID: LVA001CN74F2F
- Aspect Ratio: 16:9
- Story Text: Fighting erupted inside and outside of Taiwan's parliament again on Friday (July 17) over the disputed nomination by President Tsai Ing-wen of a senior aide to a top government watchdog post, which the main opposition party has labelled as cronyism.
The Kuomintang (KMT) has mounted a noisy campaign against the nomination of Chen Chu to head the Control Yuan, an independent government watchdog. The KMT, soundly beaten by Tsai and her Democratic Progressive Party (DPP) in elections in January, this week occupied parliament's main chamber for three days, trying to thwart Chen from taking the post.
Several KMT lawmakers knocked down voting booths inside the chamber to block DPP legislators from casting ballots over the nomination. KMT has accused the DPP of cheating in part of the vote on nomination this week.
The voting on Friday went ahead despite shouting and protests from KMT lawmakers, who held banners reading "invalid vote."
About 100 KMT supporters outside parliament fought with police and some tried to break through barricades, calling on the DPP to withdraw the nomination.
(Production: Martin Pollard, Ann Wang)
- Copyright Holder: REUTERS
- Copyright Notice: (c) Copyright Thomson Reuters 2020. Open For Restrictions - http://about.reuters.com/fulllegal.asp
- Usage Terms/Restrictions: None