- Title: At least 71 killed in floods in northeastern India
- Date: 17th July 2020
- Summary: GUWAHATI, ASSAM, INDIA (JULY 17, 2020) (ANI - NO USE INDIA) (HD) VARIOUS OF FLOODED AREAS MEN WADING THROUGH THIGH-HIGH FLOODWATER VARIOUS OF HOUSES PARTIALLY SUBMERGED IN FLOODWATER SMALL HINDU TEMPLE PARTIALLY SUBMERGED IN FLOODWATER VARIOUS OF HOUSES IN FLOODED AREA VARIOUS OF DUCKS IN FLOODWATER (SOUNDBITE) (English) STATE PROJECT COORDINATOR, ASSAM STATE DISASTER MANAGEMENT AUTHORITY, PANKAJ CHAKRAVARTY, SAYING: "This time Assam has faced more severe flood than previous years. Until now we have lost 71 human lives in flood and 26 in landslide. As on date, 27 number of districts are affected in flood and 93 numbers of revenue circle and 3,218 villages are inundated in the floodwater. Total population affected... 39,79, 560 number of population are affected." TENTS FLOOD-HIT VICTIMS SITTING IN TENTS MAN EATING AS OTHERS SIT FLOOD-HIT VICTIMS SITTING IN TENTS MAN ROWING MAKESHIFT RAFT IN FLOODWATER (SOUNDBITE)(Hindi) FLOOD-HIT-VICTIM, BHIM MAHATO, SAYING: "First of all there is lockdown and we cannot work in lockdown. Secondly, our houses have been flooded in floodwater and we are not able to come out of our houses. All our belongings have submerged and we do not have anything to eat or drink." DIBRUGARH, ASSAM, INDIA (JULY 17, 2020) (ANI - NO USE INDIA) (HD) PEOPLE WADING THROUGH KNEE-HIGH FLOODWATER/WATER FLOWING WATER FLOWING PEOPLE WADING THROUGH KNEE-HIGH FLOODWATER VARIOUS OF FLOODED AREAS WOMAN SITTING NEAR GOATS MAN ROWING MAKESHIFT RAFT (SOUNDBITE) (Hindi) FLOOD-HIT VICTIM, SAYING: "It has been approximately one month that this has happened. There are around 35-40 villages over here. There are cows. (REPORTER ASKING: They have been shifted to higher places?) Yes we have kept them (there)." CHIRANG, ASSAM, INDIA (JULY 17, 2020) (ANI - NO USE INDIA) VEHICLES PLYING IN FLOODWATER VARIOUS OF RIVER FLOWING RESCUE TEAM MOVING IN RAFT RESCUED WOMAN BEING BROUGHT OUT OF RAFT RESCUED PEOPLE GETTING OFF RAFT COWS AND PEOPLE MOVING IN WATER PEOPLE WALKING IN FLOODWATER PEOPLE STANDING
- Embargoed: 31st July 2020 15:36
- Keywords: Assam Floods India coronavirus rescue waterlogging weather
- Location: GUWAHATI, DIBRUGARH, CHIRANG, ASSAM, INDIA
- City: GUWAHATI, DIBRUGARH, CHIRANG, ASSAM, INDIA
- Country: India
- Topics: Disaster/Accidents,Floods
- Reuters ID: LVA001CN78RIN
- Aspect Ratio: 16:9
- Story Text: EDITORS PLEASE NOTE: PART QUALITY AS INCOMING
Monsoon floods in India's northeastern Assam state have killed at least 71 people, forcing more than a million people into makeshift shelters despite the risk of coronavirus.
Torrential annual rains are crucial for agriculture in South Asia, but this year India is also grappling with the virus, which has infected more than a million people and killed 25,602.
The Brahmaputra river, which flows from the Himalayas into India and then through Bangladesh, has burst its banks, swamping many villages in the state.
"This time Assam has faced more severe flood than previous years until now we have lost 71 human lives in flood and 26 in landslide," said State Project Coordinator, Assam State Disaster Management Authority, Pankaj Chakravarty on Friday (July 17).
Flood-hit-victims in India's northeastern Guwahati and Dibrugarh cities were seen wading through thigh-high and knee-high floodwater as they struggled to reach their destinations.
Many people have been living in tents with their property being washed away by floods.
Assam, known for its fine quality teas, has for several years battled floods and heavy rains that have claimed dozens of lives and displaced hundreds of thousands of people.
- Copyright Holder: ANI (India)
- Copyright Notice: (c) Copyright Thomson Reuters 2020. Open For Restrictions - http://about.reuters.com/fulllegal.asp
- Usage Terms/Restrictions: None