- Title: Israel strikes Hamas in Gaza over rockets, fire balloons
- Date: 28th August 2020
- Summary: GAZA CITY, GAZA (AUGUST 28, 2020) (REUTERS) EXPLOSION SEEN IN GAZA, AFTER ISRAELI AIR STRIKE (AUDIO: EXPLOSIONS) GREY SMOKE BILLOWING IN BETWEEN BUILDINGS EXPLOSIONS IN GAZA VARIOUS OF SMOKE BILLOWING AFTER ISRAELI AIR STRIKE IN GAZA
- Embargoed: 11th September 2020 07:47
- Keywords: Gaza Hamas Israel air strikes rockets violence
- Location: GAZA CITY, GAZA
- City: GAZA CITY, GAZA
- Country: Palestinian Territories
- Topics: Conflicts/War/Peace
- Reuters ID: LVA001CT5YJIF
- Aspect Ratio: 16:9
- Story Text: Israeli aircraft and tanks struck Hamas facilities in Gaza on Friday (August 28) and militants fired half a dozen rockets towards southern Israel, the military said, as mediators work for calm along the volatile frontier.
There were no reports of casualties on either side.
Israel's military said it struck underground infrastructure and a military post belonging to Gaza's Islamist rulers Hamas overnight in response to incendiary balloons launched from the Palestinian enclave that have burned Israeli farmland.
Gaza militants then fired six rockets towards Israel, the military said, drawing a second round of Israeli strikes which hit a Hamas armed training camp.
An Israeli military spokesman said he did not have any information on where the Gaza rockets landed, but that none of them were intercepted by its Iron Dome system.
(Production: Roleen Tafakji/Mohammed Shanna)
- Copyright Holder: REUTERS
- Copyright Notice: (c) Copyright Thomson Reuters 2020. Open For Restrictions - http://about.reuters.com/fulllegal.asp
- Usage Terms/Restrictions: None