- Title: Palestinians say Egypt navy shot dead two Gaza fishermen
- Date: 26th September 2020
- Summary: GAZA CITY, GAZA (SEPTEMBER 26, 2020) (REUTERS) VARIOUS OF PARAMEDICS MOVING BODY OF PALESTINIAN FISHERMAN SAID TO HAVE BEEN KILLED BY EGYPTIAN NAVAL FORCES MEN PUTTING BODY IN MORGUE AMBULANCES ARRIVING AT HOSPITAL POLICE AND PARAMEDICS STANDING OUTSIDE HOSPITAL PARAMEDICS MOVING SECOND BODY AMBULANCE AT HOSPITAL SALAH AL-DIN ROAD, GAZA (SEPTEMBER 26, 2020) (REUTERS) AMBULANCES BELIEVED TO BE CARRYING BODIES DRIVING BY
- Embargoed: 10th October 2020 19:50
- Keywords: Egypt Palestinians
- Location: GAZA CITY AND SALAH AL-DIN ROAD, GAZA
- City: GAZA CITY AND SALAH AL-DIN ROAD, GAZA
- Country: Palestinian Territories
- Topics: Middle East,Government/Politics
- Reuters ID: LVA001CXBRVPJ
- Aspect Ratio: 16:9
- Story Text: The bodies of two Palestinian fishermen who Palestinian officials say were shot dead by Egyptian naval forces were returned to Gaza on Saturday (September 26), the territory's ruling Islamist group Hamas said.
The fishermen, who were brothers, were shot on Friday off the coast near the southern border town of Rafah. A third brother was wounded and was undergoing treatment in Egypt.
"There is no justification for the repeated violent treatment against those who seek to eke out a living for their children," said a Hamas statement.
Egyptian officials could not immediately be reached for comment and it was unclear whether the fishing boat had crossed into Egyptian waters.
Citing security concerns, Israel maintains a naval blockade off the Gaza Strip and sets a varying fishing limit. Egypt also restricts movement of people and goods along its border with the coastal enclave.
(Production: Arafat Barbakh, Wafa Abu Mezied, Suheir Sheikh)
- Copyright Holder: REUTERS
- Copyright Notice: (c) Copyright Thomson Reuters 2020. Open For Restrictions - http://about.reuters.com/fulllegal.asp
- Usage Terms/Restrictions: None