- Title: At least 10 dead after rocket attack in Ganja, says Azerbaijan
- Date: 17th October 2020
- Summary: GANJA, AZERBAIJAN (OCTOBER 17, 2020) (REUTERS) (NIGHT SHOTS) VARIOUS OF RESCUERS DIGGING THROUGH RUBBLE WITH THEIR HANDS VARIOUS OF DEBRIS OF DEMOLISHED HOMES VARIOUS OF RESCUERS WORKING AT SITE VARIOUS OF RESCUERS WORKING AROUND PARTIALLY DEMOLISHED HOMES VIEW OF SEVERELY DAMAGED HOUSE
- Embargoed: 30th October 2020 23:36
- Keywords: Azerbaijan Ganja rocket attack
- Location: GANJA, AZERBAIJAN
- City: GANJA, AZERBAIJAN
- Country: Azerbaijan
- Topics: Conflicts/War/Peace,Europe,Military Conflicts
- Reuters ID: LVA001D0IMF5Z
- Aspect Ratio: 16:9
- Story Text:Rescuers raced against time early on Saturday (October 17) to find survivors of a fresh missile attack, which has killed at least 10 people and wounded 40 others, in Azerbaijan's second largest city of Ganja.
Azerbaijan accused Armenia of the attack that destroyed residential homes, in the latest sign that a Russian-brokered ceasefire, agreed last Saturday to allow the sides to swap detainees and the bodies of those killed, had all but broken down.
More than 10 people were killed and 40 others were wounded, Azerbaijan's presidential aide Hikmet Hajiyev said in a tweet.
Armenian and Azeri forces fought new clashes on Friday, defying hopes of ending nearly three weeks of fighting over the Nagorno-Karabakh enclave.
The worst outbreak of violence in the South Caucasus since Armenia and Azerbaijan went to war over the enclave in the 1990s, the fighting risks creating a humanitarian disaster, especially if it draws in Russia and Turkey.
Nagorno-Karabakh is internationally recognized as part of Azerbaijan but populated and governed by ethnic Armenians.
Armenia and Azerbaijan has been accusing each other of launching new attacks in and around Nagorno-Karabakh.
Reuters could not independently verify these reports.
(Production: Bulent Usta)
- Copyright Holder: REUTERS
- Copyright Notice: (c) Copyright Thomson Reuters 2020. Open For Restrictions - http://about.reuters.com/fulllegal.asp
- Usage Terms/Restrictions: None