- Title: Palestinians stage anti-France protest in Bethlehem
- Date: 28th October 2020
- Summary: BETHLEHEM, WEST BANK (OCTOBER 28, 2020) (REUTERS) MUFTI OF BETHLEHEM ABD AL-MAJID AMARNEH AND GREEK ORTHODOX ARCHBISHOP ATALLAH HANNA, STANDING TOGETHER AT A PROTEST AGAINST FRANCE NEAR NATIVITY CHURCH VARIOUS OF MUSLIMS AND CHRISTIANS CARRYING BANNERS RAISING SLOGANS GIRL AT PROTEST CARRYING THE KORAN BANNER READING IN ARABIC 'WE LOVE YOU PROPHET MOHAMMED... WE REJECT OFFENDING ISLAM AND ALL OTHER RELIGIONS' (SOUNDBITE) (Arabic) GREEK ORTHODOX ARCHBISHOP ATALLAH HANNA, SAYING: "From the Nativity church area, our message as Palestinians Christians and Muslims is that we deplore these insults against Islam and at the same time we deplore satire on religions and religious figures. Palestine's message, Bethlehem's message, Jerusalem's message, the message from this holy land to the world was always and will always be a message of love, brotherhood, and humanity." PROTESTERS AT MANGER SQUARE GIRL CARRYING THE KORAN AND SMILING INTO CAMERA BELL TOWER OF CHURCH OF NATIVITY (SOUNDBITE) (Arabic) MUFTI OF BETHLEHEM ABD AL-MAJID AMARNEH, SAYING: "We want to give a lesson for religious co-existence and human tolerance that Bethlehem represents with its Christians and Muslims. On the occasion of remembering the birth of Prophet Mohammed, we want to say that we are with the Islamic faith and the Christian faith, and that we support fraternity, justice and equality which are the mottos of France. We deplore the French President's offensive speech." RAMALLAH, WEST BANK (OCTOBER 28, 2020) (REUTERS) VARIOUS OF PALESTINIANS PROTESTING AGAINST FRANCE'S CARTOONS VARIOUS PROTESTERS CHANTING AND SAYING IN ARABIC ' THERE IS ONLY ONE GOD AND MOHAMMAD IS THE PROPHET' MORE OF PROTEST
- Embargoed: 11th November 2020 17:04
- Keywords: Church of Nativity France Palestinians Prophet Mohammad cartoon
- Location: BETHLEHEM AND RAMALLAH, WEST BANK
- City: BETHLEHEM AND RAMALLAH, WEST BANK
- Country: Palestinian Territories
- Topics: Middle East,Religion/Belief,Society/Social Issues
- Reuters ID: LVA001D21LVLZ
- Aspect Ratio: 16:9
- Story Text: Muslims and Christians in the West Bank joined in protest on Wednesday (October 28) against remarks by French President Emmanuel Macron in the row over cartoons of the Prophet Mohammad.
The dispute has its roots in a knife attack outside a French school on October 16 in which a man of Chechen origin beheaded Samuel Paty, a teacher who had shown pupils the cartoons in a civics lesson on freedom of speech.
After the murder, Macron declared war on "Islamist separatism", which he believes is taking over some Muslim communities in France.
Macron's comments have sparked protests across the Muslim world and in Bethlehem, traditionally the place of Christ's birth, the Muslim Mufti Abd al-Majid Amarneh and the Greek Orthodox Archbishop, Atallah Hanna, stood together at a peaceful protest.
France warned its citizens living or travelling in some Muslim-majority countries to take extra security precautions as anger surged over the cartoons.
(Production: Roleen Tafakji/Mohammed Abu Ganeyeh/Ismail Khadder)
- Copyright Holder: REUTERS
- Usage Terms/Restrictions: None