- Title: Palestinian rocket fire draws Israeli air strikes in Gaza
- Date: 22nd November 2020
- Summary: GAZA CITY, GAZA (NOVEMBER 22, 2020) (REUTERS) EXPLOSIONS OVER GAZA CITY AFTER ISRAELI AIR STRIKE, CLOUD OF BLACK SMOKE OVER GAZA AMBULANCE PARKING NEAR MEDICAL CENTRE KHAN YOUNIS, GAZA (NOVEMBER 22, 2020) (REUTERS) FLASH OF ISRAELI AIR STRIKE OVER GAZA GAZA CITY, GAZA (NOVEMBER 22, 2020) (REUTERS) MAN ON MOTORBIKE KHAN YOUNIS, GAZA (NOVEMBER 22, 2020) (REUTERS) GAZA SKYLINE / AUDIO OF EXPLOSIONS GAZA CITY, GAZA (NOVEMBER 22, 2020) (REUTERS) AUDIO AND FLASH OF ISRAELI AIR STRIKE OVER GAZA
- Embargoed: 6th December 2020 06:00
- Keywords: Gaza Israel Palestinians airstrikes rockets
- Location: GAZA CITY AND KHAN YOUNIS, GAZA
- City: GAZA CITY AND KHAN YOUNIS, GAZA
- Country: Palestinian Territories
- Topics: Conflicts/War/Peace,Middle East
- Reuters ID: LVA001D5NEWQV
- Aspect Ratio: 16:9
- Story Text: Palestinian militants fired a rocket into Israel, drawing Israeli air strikes in the Gaza Strip, the Israeli military said on Sunday (November 22).
No casualties were reported on either side of the border. Israeli police said the Gaza rocket fired on Saturday (November 21) night damaged a factory in the southern city of Ashkelon.
The Israeli military said its aircraft struck in response at several military sites belonging to Hamas, the Islamist armed group that controls Gaza.
Reuters witnesses said the pre-dawn strikes hit targets in Gaza City and the southern Gaza cities of Rafah and Khan Younis, where flames and plumes of smoke could be seen rising from some sites.
There was no immediate claim of responsibility from any of Gaza's military groups for the rocket firing. Israel and Hamas last fought a war in 2014 and have exchanged fire several times since though the border has been largely quiet in recent months.
"The Hamas terror organization is responsible for all events transpiring in the Gaza Strip and emanating from it, and will bear the consequences for terror activity against Israeli civilians," the military said in a statement.
There was no immediate comment from Hamas officials in Gaza.
(Production: Mohammed Shana, Ibraheem Abu Mustafa, Mustafa Abu Ganeyeh)
- Copyright Holder: REUTERS
- Copyright Notice: (c) Copyright Thomson Reuters 2020. Open For Restrictions - http://about.reuters.com/fulllegal.asp
- Usage Terms/Restrictions: None