- Title: Hundreds attend funeral of Palestinian teen shot dead by Israeli soldier
- Date: 5th December 2020
- Summary: AL-MUGHAYYIR, WEST BANK (DECEMBER 5, 2020) (REUTERS) MOTHER OF TEENAGER KILLED BY ISRAELI SOLDIERS DURING PROTEST, CRYING NEXT TO BODY OF HER SON VARIOUS OF WOMAN CRYING PALESTINIANS CARRYING BODY WRAPPED WITH PALESTINIAN FLAG PEOPLE CARRYING FATAH AND HAMAS FLAGS DURING FUNERAL VARIOUS OF PEOPLE MARCHING AT FUNERAL OF TEENAGER ALI ABU ALIA VARIOUS OF WOMEN KISSING BODY OF ALI ABU ALIA WOMAN CRYING VARIOUS OF PEOPLE MARCHING IN THE STREETS DURING FUNERAL PROCESSION WOMEN CHANTING SAYING 'GOD IS GREATEST' (SOUNDBITE) (Arabic) COUSIN, 38-YEAR-OLD, ATEF ABU ALIA, SAYING: "The Israeli occupation came near the eastern side of the Mughayyir village, so the children went and started to defend the area. Then a soldier fired toward the protesters. It was a deadly shot. After he got shot, they told us that a boy was injured and he died. He is around 14-years-old, he didn't do any operation (against the army) or anything else; just he was at the place where the Israeli army was in the eastern side of the village. The children throw stones towards the army." VARIOUS OF CHILD CARRYING PALESTINIAN FLAG
- Embargoed: 19th December 2020 11:32
- Keywords: Israel Palestinians funeral shot soldiers teenager violence
- Location: AL-MUGHAYYIR, WEST BANK
- City: AL-MUGHAYYIR, WEST BANK
- Country: Palestinian Territories
- Topics: Conflicts/War/Peace,Middle East
- Reuters ID: LVA001D7QAGJR
- Aspect Ratio: 16:9
- Story Text: Hundreds of mourners gathered in the occupied West Bank on Saturday (December 5) for the funeral of a 15-year-old Palestinian boy, shot by an Israeli soldier on Friday.
Ali Abu Alia had been at a protest against Israeli settlements at al-Mughayyir village near Ramallah, where stones were thrown at Israeli soldiers.
He was hit by a bullet in the abdomen and taken to hospital in Ramallah, where he died.
The Israeli military denied using live ammunition, only rubber bullets.
The United Nations' Middle East envoy, Nickolay Mladenov, said he was appalled by the killing. "Israel must swiftly and independently investigate this shocking and unacceptable incident," he tweeted.
(Production: Roleen Tafakji/Adel Abu Nehmeh)
- Copyright Holder: REUTERS
- Copyright Notice: (c) Copyright Thomson Reuters 2020. Open For Restrictions - http://about.reuters.com/fulllegal.asp
- Usage Terms/Restrictions: None