- Title: Palestinian artist impersonates characters to highlight social issues
- Date: 9th December 2020
- Summary: NABLUS, WEST BANK (NOVEMBER 29, 2020) (REUTERS) (SOUNDBITE) (Arabic) PALESTINIAN MAKEUP ARTIST, SHAHD ALHAWAH, SAYING: "I try, as much as I can, for each character or look that I do, to have an effect on people - be it a character from the old times or from nowadays. I always try to search for the causes that affect people. I discussed more than one issue on social media, through the art I do."
- Embargoed: 23rd December 2020 13:10
- Keywords: Arts Makeup Mona Lisa Palestinian Violence against women
- Location: NABLUS, WEST BANK
- City: NABLUS, WEST BANK
- Country: Palestinian Territories
- Topics: Middle East,Society/Social Issues
- Reuters ID: LVA007D8ABIHH
- Aspect Ratio: 16:9
- Story Text: With makeup, a mirror and a mobile, a Palestinian artist goes on social media as different characters, highlighting social and political issues in a unique way.
Twenty-five-year-old Shahd Alhawah had always loved makeup, and as she discovered her world further, her hobby focused on cinematic makeup that is often used in the creation of fictional character appearances or famous people look-alikes.
Alhawah tries to uses her artistic makeup skills to highlight social issues, like spreading awareness about violence against women.
"I try, as much as I can, for each character or look that I do, to have an effect on people... I always try to search for the causes that affect people. I discussed more than one issue on social media, through the art I do," she said.
The makeup artist, who graduated as a musician, markets her work on social media platforms. She says this kind of art is not prevalent in the Palestinian Territories and hopes she will reach the world via social media.
"I don't want to stay there is no respect, it's a lack of interest in this, they don't highlight it. For now, the only platform I could feature my work is on social media to be able to shed light on the art I do. But despite this, thank God, there are fans for this, there are people who check it and comment," Alhawah added.
Alhawah spends hours putting makeup on before uploading videos on her pages, which other famous pages start share.
She has a little more than 2,500 followers on her page on Instagram.
(Production: Adel Abu Nehmeh, Roleen Tafakji)
- Copyright Holder: REUTERS
- Copyright Notice: (c) Copyright Thomson Reuters 2020. Open For Restrictions - http://about.reuters.com/fulllegal.asp
- Usage Terms/Restrictions: None