- Title: Quiet Christmas day mass held in Bethlehem's Nativity Church
- Date: 25th December 2020
- Summary: BETHLEHEM, WEST BANK (DECEMBER 25, 2020) (REUTERS) STATUES INSIDE CHURCH OF NATIVITY VARIOUS OF LATIN PATRIARCH ARCHBISHOP PIERBATTISTA PIZZABALLA WHO IS LEADING CHRISTMAS MASS ENTERING CHURCH OF NATIVITY PIZABALLA INSIDE CHURCH WORSHIPPERS WEARING MASKS, DURING CHRISTMAS MASS NUN INSIDE CHURCH VARIOUS OF PIZABALLA LEADING CHRISTMAS DAY MASS SERVICE/ CHOIR PERFORMING INSIDE CHURCH
- Embargoed: 8th January 2021 10:22
- Keywords: COVID19 Christmas Palestinians coronavirus holidays
- Location: BETHLEHEM, WEST BANK
- City: BETHLEHEM, WEST BANK
- Country: Palestinian Territories
- Topics: Middle East,Religion/Belief,Society/Social Issues
- Reuters ID: LVA002DAI8U2V
- Aspect Ratio: 16:9
- Story Text:The Latin Patriarch of Jerusalem, Pierbattista Pizzaballa on Friday (December 25), led Christmas day Mass in the Church of Nativity, believed by Christians to be the birthplace of Jesus.
The mass in the West Bank town of Bethlehem which usually attracts hundreds of tourists and worshippers from around the world was nearly empty this year amid COVID-19 rules and restrictions.
A smaller than usual crowd of faithful greeted the patriarch at Manger Square, in striking contrast to what would normally be a vibrant scene.
Just 12 months ago the Palestinian town was celebrating its busiest Christmas season for two decades, thanks to a dramatic increase in incoming pilgrims and tourists after regional violence diminished.
But now, hotels that were adding new wings in 2019 are shuttered and Christmas festivities will be held online due to the coronavirus restrictions imposed by the Palestinian Authority.
The newly-appointed Latin Patriarch of Jerusalem, Pierbattista Pizzaballa, who himself contracted the virus and has since recovered, led this year's reduced celebrations, delivering his Christmas message on December 24.
(Production:Roleen Tafakji, Yosri alJamal, Mohammed Abu Ganeyeh)
- Copyright Holder: REUTERS
- Copyright Notice: (c) Copyright Thomson Reuters 2020. Open For Restrictions - http://about.reuters.com/fulllegal.asp
- Usage Terms/Restrictions: Audio restrictions: This clip's Audio includes copyrighted material. User is responsible for obtaining additional clearances before publishing the audio contained in this clip.