- Title: Palestinian Authority says it will hold legislative and presidential elections
- Date: 15th January 2021
- Summary: GAZA CITY, GAZA (FILE - MARCH 29, 2006) (REUTERS) (ORIGINALLY 4:3) ***WARNING: CONTAINS FLASH PHOTOGRAPHY*** HAMAS LEADER, ISMAIL HANIYEH, WALKING TO TABLE AND BEING SWORN-IN AS PALESTINIAN PRIME MINISTER ABBAS SHAKING HANDS WITH HANIYEH AND CONGRATULATING HIM PRIME MINISTER HANIYEH STANDING WITH NEW PALESTINIAN CABINET WAVING GAZA CITY, GAZA (FILE - JUNE 2007) (REUTERS) (ORIGINALLY 4:3) HAMAS GUNMAN FIRING AFTER HOISTING HAMAS FLAG ATOP OF BUILDING HAMAS GUNMEN ON JEEP DRIVING AWAY HAMAS GUNMEN PRAYING AFTER TAKEOVER OF PALESTINIAN LEGISLATIVE COUNCIL BUILDING GAZA CITY, GAZA (FILE - JUNE 14, 2007) (REUTERS) (ORIGINALLY 4:3) SMOKE BILLOWING OVER COMPOUND WHERE PALESTINIAN SECURITY MEN OF PRESIDENT MAHMOUD ABBAS' FATAH ARE ENTRENCHED AMID HAMAS ATTACKS VARIOUS OF SMOKE, FIRE BURNING (AUDIO OF GUNFIRE) SMOKE BILLOWING OVER CITY (AUDIO OF GUNFIRE) EMPTY STREET BARRIERS BLOCKING ROAD GAZA CITY, GAZA (FILE - APRIL 24, 2014) (REUTERS) HAMAS SENIOR OFFICAL ISMAIL HANIYEH AND FATAH SENIOR OFFICIAL, AZZAM AL-AHMED, LEAVING BUILDING AFTER A RECONCILIATION MEETING
- Embargoed: 29th January 2021 19:12
- Keywords: Abbas Gaza Jerusalem Palestinians West Bank elections
- Location: GAZA CITY, GAZA / RAMALLAH, HEBRON, JERICHO AND NABLUS, WEST BANK / JERUSALEM / CAIRO, EGYPT
- City: GAZA CITY, GAZA / RAMALLAH, HEBRON, JERICHO AND NABLUS, WEST BANK / JERUSALEM / CAIRO, EGYPT
- Country: Palestinian Territories
- Topics: Middle East,Government/Politics,Elections/Voting
- Reuters ID: LVA008DVBFNLZ
- Aspect Ratio: 16:9
- Story Text:The Palestinian Authority (PA) on Friday (January 15) announced it would hold its first national elections in more than a decade, in the latest of many attempts to end years of infighting between President Mahmoud Abbas's Fatah movement and his Islamist rival Hamas.
Palestinians' last parliamentary ballot in 2006 resulted in a surprise win by Hamas, widening an internal political rift that led to the group's seizure of the Gaza Strip in 2007 and contributed to a long delay in setting further elections.
The PA, which has limited self-rule in the Israeli-occupied West Bank, will hold legislative elections on May 22 and a presidential vote on June 31, a decree from Abbas's office said.
"The President instructed the election committee and all state apparatuses of the state to launch a democratic election process in all cities of the homeland," the decree said, referring to the West Bank, Gaza and East Jerusalem.
(Production:Roleen Tafakji, Suheir Sheikh,Mustafa Abu Ganeyeh)
- Copyright Holder: FILE REUTERS (CAN SELL)
- Copyright Notice: (c) Copyright Thomson Reuters 2021. Open For Restrictions - http://about.reuters.com/fulllegal.asp
- Usage Terms/Restrictions: None