- Title: A puppeteer with a message for students during remote learning
- Date: 25th January 2021
- Summary: GAZA CITY, GAZA (JANUARY 21, 2021) (REUTERS) ENGLISH LANGUAGE TEACHER BANYAS ABU HARB PREPARING TO USE PUPPET DURING ONLINE CLASS VARIOUS OF BANYAS TEACHING ONLINE THROUGH WHILE USING PUPPETS VARIOUS OF STUDENT TAKING AN ENGLISH LESSON WITH BANYAS ONLINE (SOUNDBITE) (Arabic) ENGLISH LANGUAGE TEACHER, BANYAS ABU HARB, SAYING: "The coronavirus pandemic has affected everyone, and I was one of the people who were affected by it since the place where I used to teach had to close. The university closed, and language centers closed too. I thought about teaching online so I could have an income, and I came up with the idea of using puppets so I would compete in the online market which is currently very popular." VARIOUS OF ABU HARB USING PUPPETS WHILE TEACHING (SOUNDBITE) (Arabic) ENGLISH LANGUAGE TEACHER, BANYAS ABU HARB, SAYING: "I expanded my work to the outside of Gaza, outside of this box, and I started to promote myself outside the Gaza Strip, which was more popular and more successful. Now I have students from Arab countries, more than one Arab country and it is very successful." ABU HARB USING PUPPETS TO TEACH STUDENT VIEW OF STUDENT ON THE SCREEN DURING LESSON WITH ABU HARB VARIOUS OF ABU HARB TEACHING WHILE USING PUPPETS (SOUNDBITE) (Arabic) ENGLISH LANGUAGE TEACHER BANYAS ABU HARB, SAYING: "I killed two birds with one stone. I used puppets to introduce children to the culture of puppet shows and at the same time, I am teaching them in a fun, new way, a way that will not bore them. It is a very successful method." ABU HARB LAYING TEACHING MATERIAL ON TABLE ABU HARB TEACHING STUDENT ONLINE ABU HARB USING PUPPET TO SAY GOOD-BYE TO STUDENT PUPPETS
- Embargoed: 8th February 2021 12:31
- Keywords: COVID-19 Education Online Classes Puppets Students Teacher
- Location: GAZA CITY, GAZA
- City: GAZA CITY, GAZA
- Country: Palestinian Territories
- Topics: Education,Middle East,Society/Social Issues
- Reuters ID: LVA001DWPCNRP
- Aspect Ratio: 16:9
- Story Text: An English language teacher says she has gained popularity with young students in the Gaza strip for her method of teaching using puppets online, while schools are closed due to the coronavirus pandemic.
Banyas Abu Harb, 27, lost her teaching job at the start of the pandemic last year, but quickly switched to private tutoring online where she keeps students entertained with her educational theatrical displays.
Authorities in Gaza imposed tighter restrictions last month, introducing a night curfew and a full weekend lockdown.
But teaching online opened new opportunities for Abu Harb who says remote learning has allowed her to attract students not only from Gaza but from other countries in the Arab world, like Saudi Arabia and the United Arab Emirates.
Gaza has reported more than 49,644 COVID-19 cases and 508 deaths since August 2020, according to local authorities.
(Production: Bassam Masoud, Arafat Barbakh, Suheir Sheikh, Mustafa Abu Ganeyeh)
- Copyright Holder: REUTERS
- Copyright Notice: (c) Copyright Thomson Reuters 2021. Open For Restrictions - http://about.reuters.com/fulllegal.asp
- Usage Terms/Restrictions: None