- Title: WHO team in Wuhan visits provincial animal health facility
- Date: 2nd February 2021
- Summary: WUHAN, CHINA (FEBRUARY 2, 2021) (REUTERS) CARS CARRYING WORLD HEALTH ORGANIZATION (WHO) EXPERTS DRIVING INTO ENTRANCE OF HUBEI CENTER FOR ANIMAL DISEASE CONTROL AND PREVENTION (CDC) IN WUHAN, REPORTER ASKING (English): "HOW'S THE TRIP GOING SO FAR?", MEMBER OF THE WHO INVESTIGATION TEAM INSIDE CAR, PETER DASZAK, SAYING (English): "REALLY WELL, EXCELLENT", CARS DRIVING, REPORTER ASKING (English): "ARE YOU GETTING THE ACCESS YOU NEED?", MEMBER OF WHO INVESTIGATION TEAM PUTTING THUMB UP, MEDIA CREW IN FACE MASKS MEDIA CREW FILMING WHO EXPERTS DISEMBARKING FROM CAR MEDIA CREW FILMING WHO EXPERTS OUTSIDE CAR EXTERIOR OF HUBEI ANIMAL CDC BUILDING WHO EXPERTS WAITING AROUND MAN IN PERSONAL PROTECTIVE EQUIPMENT (PPE) PUSHING TROLLEY AND SPRAYING DISINFECTANT ANIMAL CDC PREMISE MAN ENTERING BUILDING SIGN READING (Mandarin and English): "HUBEI CENTER FOR ANIMAL DISEASE CONTROL AND PREVENTION" PERSON WEARING PPE WALKING INSIDE BUILDING PEOPLE WEARING PPE INSIDE BUILDING MEDIA CREW FILMING PEOPLE IN PPE IN THE BUILDING JOURNALISTS FILMING PEOPLE IN BUILDING ENTRANCE TO HUBEI PROVINCIAL ANIMAL CDC PREMISES, JOURNALISTS FILMING OUTSIDE POLICE OFFICER BY ROADSIDE WHO EXPERT PETER DASZAK ON PHONE OUTSIDE HOTEL WHO EXPERTS OUTSIDE HOTEL SECURITY STAFF LOOKING ON WHO EXPERTS STANDING OUTSIDE HOTEL JOURNALIST FILMING WHO EXPERTS STANDING AND WALKING OUTSIDE HOTEL, WHO EXPERT PETER DASZAK AND HEAD OF WHO MISSION TO INVESTIGATE ORIGINS OF COVID-19 PETER BEN EMBAREK GREETING EACH OTHER EXTERIOR OF HOTEL PREMISES CARS CARRYING WHO EXPERTS DRIVING OUT FROM HOTEL, REPORTER ASKING (English): "WHAT ARE YOUR HOPES FOR TODAY?" / CARS DRIVING OUT FROM HOTEL
- Embargoed: 16th February 2021 02:50
- Keywords: COVID-19 China Hubei Center for Animal Disease Control and Prevention WHO Wuhan
- Location: WUHAN, CHINA
- City: WUHAN, CHINA
- Country: China
- Topics: Asia / Pacific,Health/Medicine
- Reuters ID: LVA001DXY837R
- Aspect Ratio: 16:9
- Story Text:A team of investigators led by the World Health Organization (WHO) arrived on Tuesday (February 2) at an animal health facility in China's central city of Wuhan in the search for clues about the origins of the COVID-19 pandemic.
The independent team has already visited key hospitals, the regional disease control centre and the city's Huanan seafood market, where the first cluster of infections was believed to have originated late in 2019.
The trip was going "really well, excellent," one of its members, Peter Daszak, president of the EcoHealth Alliance, told Reuters on Tuesday, responding to a query just before entering the animal health centre. The centre in the province of Hubei could provide information on how a coronavirus endemic in horseshoe bats in southwest China might have crossed into humans.
Peter Ben Embarek, the WHO's top expert on "zoonotic" diseases that originate in animals, was among the team members clad in white suits of personal protective equipment spotted within the centre's premises. A worker, also wearing protective gear, disinfected the road outside after the team had entered.
On Monday (February 1), the WHO said the investigation might not find all the answers to the origins of COVID-19.
(Production: Martin Pollard)
- Copyright Holder: REUTERS
- Copyright Notice: (c) Copyright Thomson Reuters 2021. Open For Restrictions - http://about.reuters.com/fulllegal.asp
- Usage Terms/Restrictions: None