- Title: Struggling artist sets up free gallery for Rafah camp residents
- Date: 16th February 2021
- Summary: RAFAH, GAZA (FEBRUARY 8, 2021) (REUTERS) PALESTINIAN ARTIST, AMMAR ABU SHAMALEH, OPENING HIS MAKESHIFT GALLERY CORNER ON ROAD SIDE JUST OUTSIDE RAFAH REFUGEE CAMP VARIOUS OF ABU SHAMALEH SETTING UP CATS AT SCENE (SOUNDBITE) (Arabic) PALESTINIAN ARTIST, AMMAR ABU SHAMALEH, SAYING: "I opened (this corner) because I had a lot of free time. So I went to the streets and citizens to entertain them by taking souvenir photos (in my corner) the mobile phones or camera. Corona(virus) was the main reason, because I was at home with no income during corona(virus) (pandemic)." SIGN READING (Arabic): "SMILE AND TAKE A SOUVENIR PICTURE. WITHIN THE INITIATIVES OF THE LITERARY AND CULTURAL SALON FOR TOILING ARTISTS. CAMP RESIDENT" VARIOUS OF MAN TAKING PHOTO WITH HIS MOBILE PHONE OF YOUNG MAN INSIDE ABU SHAMALEH'S CORNER STREET VIEW / CORNER ON ROADSIDE RESIDENT OF GAZA YOUSEF FIFEL POSING INSIDE CORNER FOR HIS PHOTO BEING TAKEN (SOUNDBITE) (Arabic) RESIDENT OF GAZA, YOUSEF FIFEL, SAYING: "Nobody encouraged him in the beginning, but residents of the (Rafah refugee) camp supported and encouraged him. So he insisted on doing something for the camp during the corona(virus) pandemic, so people would have a breathing space in the camp to take photos. It's beautiful." ABU SHAMALEH WALKING IN THE CAMP, CARRYING AXE AND TRADITIONAL DRESS PAINTING OF CHE GUEVARA INSIDE ABU SHAMALEH'S CORNER PEOPLE GATHERING OUTSIDE CORNER / ABU SHAMALEH ORGANIZING CORNER VARIOUS OF ABU SHAMALEH SCULPTING WOODEN PIECE (SOUNDBITE) (Arabic) PALESTINIAN ARTIST, AMMAR ABU SHAMALEH, 32, SAYING: "Fine art, in general, is my only income but due to the bad situation, fine arts and the Palestinian heritage have been forgotten. There is no one to support talented people." ABU SHAMALEH SITTING WITH PEOPLE IN HIS CORNER ABU SHAMALEH SMOKING VARIOUS OF ABU SHAMALEH'S CORNER ON ROAD SIDE
- Embargoed: 2nd March 2021 12:50
- Keywords: Gaza Health artist coronavirus pandemic
- Location: RAFAH, GAZA
- City: RAFAH, GAZA
- Country: Palestinian Territories
- Topics: Arts/Culture/Entertainment,Middle East
- Reuters ID: LVA001DZW8Z85
- Aspect Ratio: 16:9
- Story Text:Palestinian artist Ammar Abu Shamaleh had a lot of free time and no work during the coronavirus pandemic that he decided to set up a makeshift gallery on a Gaza street corner just outside the Rafah refugee camp, to entertain residents.
Abu Shamaleh opened his corner earlier this month with a sign reading "Smile and take a souvenir picture" in Arabic, inviting people to take photos in the makeshift gallery.
One of those who visited his corner is 21-year-old Yousef Fifel. He sat there amid the art pieces posing for a photo.
Abu Shamaleh "insisted on doing something for the camp during the coronavirus pandemic, so people would have a breathing space in the camp to take photos. It's beautiful," Fifel said.
The 32-year-old artist said he has lost his income from his art because of the pandemic, but is offering his corner for free to the camp's residents, in an attempt to spread hope among them.
As of Tuesday (February 16), Gaza has registered more than 53,000 cases with 538 deaths according to the Palestinian health minister.
(Production: Arafat Barbakh, Bassam Massoud, Mustafa Abu Ganeyeh)
- Copyright Holder: REUTERS
- Copyright Notice: (c) Copyright Thomson Reuters 2021. Open For Restrictions - http://about.reuters.com/fulllegal.asp
- Usage Terms/Restrictions: None