- Title: Bedouins excited to cast ballots as Palestinian voter registration hits 93%
- Date: 18th February 2021
- Summary: JORDAN VALLEY, WEST BANK (FEBRUARY 16, 2021) (REUTERS) PALESTINIAN CENTRAL ELECTIONS COMMISSION WORKER REGISTERING NAME OF PALESTINIAN WOMAN FOR THE UPCOMING PARLIAMENTARY AND PRESIDENTIAL ELECTIONS WORKERS OF PALESTINIAN CENTRAL ELECTIONS COMMISSION TALKING TO BEDOUINS WORKER WEARING VEST WITH LOGO READING IN (Arabic): "PALESTINIAN ELECTION 2021" ELECTION WORKER REGISTERING NAME OF BEDOUIN COMMUNITY RESIDENT (SOUNDBITE) (Arabic) LEADER OF BEDOUIN COMMUNITY, ISMAEL ABU KHARBIESH, SAYING: "Nowadays there are young people who are volunteering to encourage the residents to register and if we want the voting percentage to increase there should be a polling station. And we are working with the officials to turn one of the tents to a polling station which we will protect if Israeli forces come. We will protect it and will never allow them to enter until the voting finishes because holding election in this area assures our sovereignty over this area." VARIOUS OF ELECTION WORKERS VISITING BEDOUIN COMMUNITY / TALKING TO BEDOUINS BEDOUIN COMMUNITY ABU KHARBIESH TALKING TO REPORTER (SOUNDBITE) (Arabic) LEADER OF BEDOUIN COMMUNITY, ISMAEL ABU KHARBIESH, SAYING: "First the closest registration center is far from here around 10-15 Kilometres away. Secondly, there is no internet network available for us in this area." VARIOUS OF BEDOUIN MAN WALKING AROUND LIVESTOCK IN FIELD VARIOUS OF SHEEP AROUND WATER SPRING / SHEEP DRINKING WATER SUN OVER BEDOUIN COMMUNITY JERICHO, WEST BANK (FEBRUARY 16, 2021) (REUTERS) (SOUNDBITE) (Arabic) HEAD OF THE PALESTINIAN CENTRAL ELECTIONS COMMISSION OFFICE IN JERICHO, SHAWKAT ASSI, SAYING: "The lifestyle of the Palestinian Bedouins across the Palestinian Territories require greater efforts, especially in registration for the general elections." JORDAN VALLEY, WEST BANK (FEBRUARY 16, 2021) (REUTERS) ABU KHARBIESH CHECKING LIVESTOCK BEDOUIN COMMUNITY
- Embargoed: 4th March 2021 08:56
- Keywords: Bedouin Elections Jordan Valley Palestinians Politics West Bank
- Location: JERICHO AND JORDAN VALLEY, WEST BANK
- City: JERICHO AND JORDAN VALLEY, WEST BANK
- Country: Palestinian Territories
- Topics: Middle East,Government/Politics
- Reuters ID: LVA001E068LED
- Aspect Ratio: 16:9
- Story Text:Palestinian election workers are signing up voters in remote parts of the Jordan Valley in the occupied West Bank ahead of ballots later this year.
Some 93% of eligible voters in the West Bank and Gaza have registered for the long-awaited elections, due in May and July, official figures showed on Wednesday (February 17).
But with no access to the electrical grid and lacking the technology, Bedouins were helped by workers of the Palestinian Central Elections Commission to register their names for the upcoming parliamentary and presidential elections.
Bedouin communities in the Israeli-occupied West Bank struggled with power cuts, poor internet network and high levels of poverty.
Palestinians over 18 were eligible to register online, by phone or in person for parliamentary elections planned for May 22 and a presidential vote set for July 31.
The Central Election Commission said 2.6 million out of 2.8 million eligible voters did so before a Tuesday deadline.
(Production: Adel Abu Nemeh, Zainah El Haroun, Raneen Sawafta)
- Copyright Holder: REUTERS
- Copyright Notice: (c) Copyright Thomson Reuters 2021. Open For Restrictions - http://about.reuters.com/fulllegal.asp
- Usage Terms/Restrictions: None