- Title: Three Gaza fishermen killed by apparent Palestinian rocket, rights group says
- Date: 7th March 2021
- Summary: KHAN YOUNIS, GAZA (MARCH 7, 2021) (REUTERS) TWO AMBULANCES PEOPLE MOURNING MAN CRYING AMBULANCES DRIVING WOMAN CRYING STRETCHER WITH WRAPPED BODY BEING CARRIED FOR BURIAL (SOUNDBITE) (Arabic) MOURNING RELATIVE OF ONE OF THE KILLED FISHERMEN SAYING: "They left kids behind, kids are now orphans." WOMAN CRYING WHILE BEING HUGGED AMBULANCE DRIVING VARIOUS OF HAMAS SECURITY MEN CHILD HOLDING ROCK AT BEACH BOAT BEACH
- Embargoed: 21st March 2021 17:33
- Keywords: Gaza Hamas fishermen hospital port rocket
- Location: KHAN YOUNIS, GAZA CITY, GAZA
- City: KHAN YOUNIS, GAZA CITY, GAZA
- Country: Palestinian Territories
- Topics: Conflicts/War/Peace,Middle East
- Reuters ID: LVA001E3336TJ
- Aspect Ratio: 16:9
- Story Text: Three Palestinian fishermen were killed on Sunday when their boat exploded off the Gaza Strip, a blast that a human rights group said was likely caused by errant Palestinian rocket fire.
The Palestinian Center for Human Rights said the boat was two miles offshore when the shell hit and "completely destroyed it".
"The center condemns the incident, which indications suggest mostly likely occurred as a result of resistance training," said the statement, referring to Palestinian militant groups.
Israel's military denied any connection to the incident and said "our indications show that their deaths were caused by an explosion inside Gaza".
The Interior Ministry in Gaza, which is run by the Islamist group Hamas, said it was investigating the incident.
Hamas' armed wing said it opened an investigation into the "painful incident" and would publish the results as soon as possible.
(Production: Bassam Masoud, Mohammad Salem, Ibraheem Abu Mustafa, Rinat Harash)
- Copyright Holder: REUTERS
- Copyright Notice: (c) Copyright Thomson Reuters 2021. Open For Restrictions - http://about.reuters.com/fulllegal.asp
- Usage Terms/Restrictions: None