- Title: China approves coronavirus vaccine for clinical trials: state media
- Date: 17th March 2020
- Summary: VARIOUS OF RESEARCHERS STUDYING AND DEVELOPING VACCINE IN LAB (SOUNDBITE) (Mandarin) LEAD RESEARCHER OF CHINA'S ACADEMY OF MILITARY MEDICAL SCIENCES CHEN WEI, SAYING: "In accordance with international standards and domestic laws and regulations, we have made the preliminary preparations for its safety, effectiveness, controllable quality and mass production. We have been fully prepared for starting a formal clinical trial at any time." (EDITORS PLEASE NOTE: SOUNDBITE PART OVERLAID WITH SHOT 8) VARIOUS OF RESEARCHERS WORKING IN LAB WUHAN, CHINA (MARCH 16, 2020) (ORIGINALLY 4:3) (CCTV - NO USE CHINA) PARTICIPANTS AT APPROVAL MEETING VIA VIDEO LINK SCREEN SHOWING VIDEO LINK OF APPROVAL MEETING DIGITAL SCREEN READING (in Chinese and English) "Recombinant Novel Coronavirus Vaccine (Adenovirus Type 5 Vector)" VACCINE APPROVED TO BE USED IN CLINICAL TRIAL
- Embargoed: 31st March 2020 00:00
- Keywords: China, Wuhan, clincal trial, coronavirus, vaccine
- Access Restrictions:This media cannot be downloaded as there may be copyright restrictions. Please contact us for more information
- Location: WUHAN, HUBEI PROVINCE, CHINA
- City: WUHAN
- Country: CHINA
- Reuters ID: LVA003C5FUPMV
- Aspect Ratio: 16:9
- Story Text:China has given the go-ahead for researchers to begin human safety tests of an experimental coronavirus vaccine on Monday (March 16), in the race to develop a shot against the COVID-19 epidemic that has killed more than 7,000 people worldwide.
Researchers at China's Academy of Military Medical Sciences, affiliated to the Chinese People's Liberation Army (PLA), received approval to launch early-stage clinical trials of the potential vaccine starting this week, state media CCTV reported on Tuesday (March 17).
Scientists in the United States said on Monday that clinical trials had begun for a vaccine developed by its National Institute of Allergy and Infectious Diseases and the U.S. biotech firm Moderna.
Details in the Chinese clinical trial registration database show that a "Phase 1" test that will examine whether experimental shot is safe in humans aims to recruit 108 healthy people to take part between March 16 and December 31.
The trial will be conducted by China's Academy of Military Medical Sciences and the Hong Kong-listed biotech firm CanSino Biologics, the database showed.
Experts at the World Health Organization say they do not expect any fully tested and approved vaccine to reach the market until the middle of next year.
(Production: Irene Wang)
- Copyright Holder: CCTV (China)
- Usage Terms/Restrictions: Broadcasters: NO USE CHINA Digital: NO USE CHINA. For Reuters customers only.