- Title: Rocket hits house near Tel Aviv as Israeli-Palestinian violence escalates
- Date: 12th May 2021
- Summary: GAZA CITY, GAZA (MAY 12, 2021) (REUTERS) LIGHT FROM ROCKETS BEING FIRED LIGHTING UP BUILDINGS EXPLOSION LIGHTING SKYLINE OF GAZA / AUDIO OF EXPLOSION IN BACKGROUND ROCKETS BEING FIRED FROM GAZA SMOKE RISING, EXPLOSION HEARD IN BACKGROUND FIRE BURNING BEHIND BUILDINGS ROCKETS BEING FIRED FROM GAZA AUDIO OF EXPLOSION VARIOUS OF ROCKETS IN SKY/ EXPLOSION HEARD IN BACKGROUND
- Embargoed: 26th May 2021 03:14
- Keywords: Gaza Israel Lod Tel Aviv rockets sirens strikes
- Location: GAZA CITY, GAZA / LOD, ISRAEL
- City: GAZA CITY, GAZA / LOD, ISRAEL
- Country: Palestinian Territories
- Topics: Middle East,Government/Politics
- Reuters ID: LVA002ECNOX1J
- Aspect Ratio: 16:9
- Story Text: Hostilities between Israel and Hamas escalated overnight, with 35 Palestinians killed in Gaza and three in Israel in the most intensive aerial exchanges for years.
In the mixed Arab-Jewish town of Lod, near Tel Aviv, video from the Magen David Adom Society (MDA) showed paramedics and police outside a house hit directly by a rocket on Wednesday (May 12). MDA reported that two people were in a critical condition after the strike.
Into the early hours of Wednesday morning, Gazans reported their homes shaking and the sky lighting up with Israeli attacks, outgoing rockets and Israeli air defense missiles intercepting them.
Israel carried out hundreds of air strikes in Gaza, as the Islamist group and other Palestinian militant groups fired multiple rocket barrages at Tel Aviv and Beersheba.
It was the heaviest offensive between Israel and Hamas since a 2014 war in Gaza, and prompted international concern that the situation could spiral out of control.
(Production: Mohammad Shana, Ibrahim abu Mustafa, Suheir Sheikh, Tom Newey)
- Copyright Holder: REUTERS
- Copyright Notice: (c) Copyright Thomson Reuters 2021. Open For Restrictions - http://about.reuters.com/fulllegal.asp
- Usage Terms/Restrictions: None