- Title: Palestinians killed in lethal car hit
- Date: 12th May 2021
- Summary: GAZA CITY, GAZA (MAY 12, 2021) (REUTERS) CAMERA MOVING TOWARDS SCENE WHERE CAR WAS HIT, PARAMEDICS AT SCENE MOVING BODIES PEOPLE AND PARAMEDIC COVERING BODY IN BAG PEOPLE MOVING BODY INTO AMBULANCE PEOPLE CHANTING IN (Arabic): 'GOD IS THE GREATEST', PARAMEDIC CLOSE AMBULANCE DOOR VARIOUS OF PEOPLE LOOKING AT DAMAGED CAR (SOUNDBITE) (Arabic) GAZA RESIDENT, ABED ALDAYAH, 54, SAYING: "What should I say? This is a crime. They were civilians: a woman, her children, a barber and a shop owner. These are the people who were at the scene. They didn't hit a militant nor an official, we are civilians sleeping at our homes." AMBULANCE AT SCENE VARIOUS OF PEOPLE LOOKING AT DAMAGED CAR CLOUD OF BLACK SMOKE SEEN AT SKY OVER GAZA
- Embargoed: 26th May 2021 10:37
- Keywords: Gaza Israel Palestinians car rockets strike wounded
- Location: GAZA CITY, GAZA
- City: GAZA CITY, GAZA
- Country: Palestinian Territories
- Topics: Conflicts/War/Peace,Middle East
- Reuters ID: LVA001ECNPF7R
- Aspect Ratio: 16:9
- Story Text: EDITORS PLEASE NOTE: THIS EDIT CONTAINS GRAPHIC IMAGES
An Israeli airstrike hit a car carrying three civilians, including a woman in Gaza City, Palestinian witnesses and health officials said on Wednesday (May 12).
Health officials said three people were killed in the attack.
Reuters footage showed paramedics moving bodies from the wrecked vehicle.
"What should I say? This is a crime they were civilians," said Abed Al-Dayah, 54.
Israel carried out hundreds of air strikes in Gaza into Wednesday morning as the Islamist group Hamas and other Palestinian militants fired multiple rocket barrages over the border at Tel Aviv and the southern city of Beersheba.
At least 35 people have been killed in Gaza and five in Israel in the most intense exchanges for years.
In Gaza, one multi-storey residential building, whose occupants were warned in advance by Israel to evacuate, collapsed and another was heavily damaged after they were repeatedly hit by Israeli air strikes.
Israel said its warplanes had targeted and killed several Hamas intelligence leaders early on Wednesday. Other strikes hit what the military said were rocket launch sites, Hamas offices and the homes of Hamas leaders.
It was the heaviest offensive between Israel and Hamas since a 2014 war in the Hamas-ruled enclave, and prompted international concern that the situation could spiral out of control.
(Production: Fadi Shana, Mustafa Abu Ganeyeh)
- Copyright Holder: REUTERS
- Copyright Notice: (c) Copyright Thomson Reuters 2021. Open For Restrictions - http://about.reuters.com/fulllegal.asp
- Usage Terms/Restrictions: None