- Title: Explosions light up Gaza night sky, sirens blare in Tel Aviv
- Date: 12th May 2021
- Summary: GAZA CITY, GAZA (MAY 13, 2021) (REUTERS) LARGE EXPLOSIONS / PLUMES OF SMOKE GAZA CITY, GAZA (MAY 12, 2021) (REUTERS) GAZA SKYLINE / AUDIO OF EXPLOSIONS / EXPLOSION SEEN IN NIGHT SKY ROCKETS FIRED IN GAZA NIGHT SKY TEL AVIV, ISRAEL (MAY 13, 2021) (REUTERS) BUILDINGS / AUDIO OF SIRENS BLARING
- Embargoed: 26th May 2021 23:31
- Keywords: Gaza Israel Palestinians Tel Aviv air strikes explosions sirens violence
- Location: GAZA CITY, GAZA / TEL AVIV, ISRAEL
- City: GAZA CITY, GAZA / TEL AVIV, ISRAEL
- Country: Palestinian Territories
- Topics: Conflicts/War/Peace,Middle East
- Reuters ID: LVA001ECNRF47
- Aspect Ratio: 16:9
- Story Text: Large explosions shook Gaza City early on Thursday (May 13) morning, hours after Israel pledged to keep pummelling Hamas in what has been the heaviest fighting since a 2014 Gaza war.
An Israeli air strike on a Hamas command post in the Gaza Strip on Wednesday (May 12) killed 16 Hamas figures, including a senior commander and weapons developers, Israel's Shin Bet security service said.
After nightfall, Israeli strikes hit a Hamas-linked bank, as well as three roads in the enclave.
Hamas and allied group Islamic Jihad fired rockets at the Tel Aviv area and the cities of Ashdod, Ashkelon and Sderot, with the salvoes resuming early on Thursday after a brief lull.
Israel launched its offensive after Hamas fired rockets in retaliation for Israeli police clashes with Palestinians near al-Aqsa mosque in East Jerusalem during the fasting month of Ramadan.
At least 67 people have been killed in Gaza since violence escalated on Monday (May 17), according to the enclave's health ministry. Seven people have been killed in Israel, medical officials said.
(Production: Mohammed Shana, Rami Amichay, Iona Serrapica)
- Copyright Holder: REUTERS
- Copyright Notice: (c) Copyright Thomson Reuters 2021. Open For Restrictions - http://about.reuters.com/fulllegal.asp
- Usage Terms/Restrictions: None