- Title: Gaza building collapses after Israel air strike
- Date: 12th May 2021
- Summary: GAZA CITY, GAZA (MAY 12, 2021) (REUTERS) SIDE OF HIGH-RISE BUILDING ATTACKED BY ISRAELI MILITARY COLLAPSING, PLUME OF SMOKE RISING/ ANOTHER SIDE OF BUILDING COLLAPSING TOP OF BUILDING DAMAGE TO BUILDING SOUND OF EXPLOSIONS, WHOLE BUILDING COLLAPSING, SMO
- Embargoed: 26th May 2021 16:45
- Keywords: Gaza Gaza City Hamas Israel al-Aqsa TV army commander explosion fire militants rockets strike violence
- Location: GAZA CITY, GAZA
- City: GAZA CITY, GAZA
- Country: Palestinian Territories
- Topics: Conflicts/War/Peace,Middle East,Military Conflicts
- Reuters ID: LVA001ECNN2O7
- Aspect Ratio: 16:9
- Story Text: A multi-storey residential building and a tower housing Hamas and other media outlets in Gaza City collapsed after Israel warned occupants in advance to evacuate, and another structure was heavily damaged in airstrikes on Wednesday (May 12).
The building is located in a busy shopping area for Gazans.
Other airstrikes hit what Israel's military said were rocket launch sites, Hamas offices, and homes of Hamas leaders.
Hostilities between Palestinian militants and the Israeli army intensified into the third day of fighting.
At least 53 people have been killed in Hamas-ruled Gaza and six people in Israel since the violence escalated, according to officials, with Palestinian militants raining rockets into Israel and Israel launching airstrikes on the enclave.
The offensive is the heaviest between Israel and Islamist militant group Hamas since a 2014 war in Gaza, and concern is growing that the situation could spiral out of control.
(Production: Mohammed Shanna, Chiara Rodriquez, Avivit Delgoshen)
- Copyright Holder: REUTERS
- Copyright Notice: (c) Copyright Thomson Reuters 2021. Open For Restrictions - http://about.reuters.com/fulllegal.asp
- Usage Terms/Restrictions: None