- Title: Palestinians celebrate Eid even amid cross-border conflict
- Date: 13th May 2021
- Summary: JERUSALEM (MAY 13, 2021) (REUTERS) PALESTINIANS CELEBRATING EID IN AL-AQSA PALESTINIANS CHANTING AND PRAISING HAMAS BANNER OF HAMAS LEADERS VARIOUS OF PALESTINIANS CELEBRATING EID NEAR DOME OF THE ROCK PALESTINIANS IN AL QASA COMPOUND (SOUNDBITE) (Arabic) PALESTINIANS CELEBRATING EID AT AL AQSA, MOHAMMAD ALATRASH, SAYING: "Thanks God all is good but it is a sad situation because some people can feel happy and others God help them." VARIOUS OF PALESTINIANS PRAYING (SOUNDBITE) (Arabic) PALESTINIANS CELEBRATING EID, WAEL ABU SIDO, SAYING: "It is hard for people in Gaza, West Bank and elsewhere in the world to watch what is going on in Al Aqsa and keep silent. I hope it will be good for all." GAZA CITY, GAZA (MAY 13, 2021) (REUTERS) VARIOUS OF PALESTINIANS DURING EID PRAYERS (SOUNDBITE) (Arabic) GAZAN CELEBRATING EID, FALAH MADI, 35, SAYING: "I will celebrate Eid, I borrowed money to buy new clothes for my son in order to challenge the situation and celebrate Eid, I want to make my son happy during Eid, and I hope next Eid i will take him to pray in Al Aqsa mosque and chant God the greatest." KHAN YOUNIS, GAZA (MAY 13, 2021) (REUTERS) VARIOUS OF WOMEN LOOKING AT DAMAGED BUILDING FROM ISRAELI AIRSTRIKE MEN STANDING IN FRONT OF DAMAGED BUILDING DAMAGED BUILDING (SOUNDBITE) (Arabic) GAZAN WHO WILL NOT CELEBRATE EID, BASMAH AL FARRA, 33, SAYING: "This year is not normal it is an atmosphere of war, every year we celebrate Eid but this year we will not celebrate because of the war and the martyrs." WOMEN LOOKING AT DAMAGED BUILDING CHILDREN WAVING TO THE CAMERA
- Embargoed: 27th May 2021 09:58
- Keywords: Al-Aqsa Eid Gaza Jerusalem Khan Younis Palestinians
- Location: JERUSALEM / GAZA CITY AND KHAN YOUNIS, GAZA
- City: JERUSALEM / GAZA CITY AND KHAN YOUNIS, GAZA
- Country: Palestinian Territories
- Topics: Conflicts/War/Peace,Middle East
- Reuters ID: LVA001ECSOH1J
- Aspect Ratio: 16:9
- Story Text:Palestinians celebrated Eid on Thursday (May 13) amid increased tension and cross-border conflict between Israel and Hamas in Gaza.
Israel prepared ground troops along the Gaza border on Thursday as Hamas launched rocket barrages at Israel as international calls mounted for an end to the region's fiercest hostilities in years.
One rocket fired from the Palestinian enclave crashed into a building near Israel's commercial capital of Tel Aviv, injuring five Israelis, police said.
Sirens blared in cities across southern Israel, sending thousands running for shelters.
In renewed airstrikes on Thursday, Israel destroyed a six-story residential building in the heart of Gaza City. One man was killed by an Israeli missile fired east of Khan Younis in southern Gaza, medics said.
A wave of violence between Jewish Israelis and the country's Arab minority also spread in several Israeli cities, with attacks on synagogues and Arab-Jewish fighting in the streets.
At least 72 people have been killed in Gaza since violence escalated on Monday (May 10), medics said, further straining hospitals already under heavy pressure during the COVID-19 pandemic. Seven people have been killed in Israel, its military said.
(Production: Sinan Abu Mayzer, Fadi Shana, Bassam Masoud, Mohammed Shana, Mustafa Abu Ganeyeh)
- Copyright Holder: REUTERS
- Copyright Notice: (c) Copyright Thomson Reuters 2021. Open For Restrictions - http://about.reuters.com/fulllegal.asp
- Usage Terms/Restrictions: None