- Title: Israeli airstrikes hit Gaza on Eid morning
- Date: 13th May 2021
- Summary: GAZA CITY, GAZA (MAY 13, 2021) (REUTERS) VARIOUS OF SUNRISE OVER GAZA, AUDIO OF EID PRAYERS CAN BE HEARD ISRAELI AIRSTRIKE HIT BUILDING BEIT LAHIYA, GAZA (MAY 13, 2021) (REUTERS) VARIOUS OF DRONE FOOTAGE SHOWING AFTERMATH, DAMAGED BUILDINGS AFTER GAZA CITY, GAZA (MAY 13, 2021) (REUTERS) VARIOUS OF PEOPLE WALKING AMID RUBBLE
- Embargoed: 27th May 2021 12:35
- Keywords: Israel Palestinians
- Location: GAZA CITY AND BEIT LAHIYA, GAZA
- City: GAZA CITY AND BEIT LAHIYA, GAZA
- Country: Palestinian Territories
- Topics: Conflicts/War/Peace,Middle East,Editors' Choice
- Reuters ID: LVA001ECSOHTZ
- Aspect Ratio: 16:9
- Story Text: Israeli Air Force continued to strike Gaza on Thursday (May 13) as Israeli troops massed at Gaza's border and Palestinian militants pounded Israel with rockets in intense hostilities that have caused international concern.
Days of violence between Jewish Israelis and the country's Arab minority worsened overnight, with synagogues attacked and fighting breaking out on the streets of some communities.
With concern growing that the violence that flared on Monday (May 10) could spiral out of control, the United States is sending an envoy, Hady Amr, to the region. But efforts to end the worst hostilities in years appear so far to have made no progress.
In renewed air strikes on Gaza, Israel struck a six-storey residential building in Gaza City that it said belonged to Hamas, the Islamist group that controls the Palestinian enclave.
At least 83 people have been killed in Gaza since violence escalated on Monday, medics said, further straining hospitals already under heavy pressure during the COVID-19 pandemic.
Seven people have been killed in Israel, its military said.
(Production: Fadi Shana, Mohammed Salem,Mohammed Shana, Mustafa Abu Ganeyeh)
- Copyright Holder: REUTERS
- Copyright Notice: (c) Copyright Thomson Reuters 2021. Open For Restrictions - http://about.reuters.com/fulllegal.asp
- Usage Terms/Restrictions: None