- Title: Palestinians bury dead in Gaza, West Bank, as violence escalates
- Date: 12th May 2021
- Summary: GAZA CITY, GAZA (MAY 12, 2021) (REUTERS) (PART MUTE) RELATIVES OF PALESTINIAN KILLED BY ISRAEL FORCES CRYING WOMAN CRYING MEN MOVING BODIES ON STRETCHER CHILDREN CRYING WOMEN CRYING VARIOUS OF CHILDREN CRYING VARIOUS OF FATHER OF PALESTINIAN KILLED BY ISRAELIS CRYING MEN MOVING BODY ON STRECHER, FAMILY MEMBERS WATCHING SCENE FAMILY MEMBERS WATCHING FUNERAL PROCESSION DRONE FOOTAGE SHOWING FUNERAL PROCESSION (MUTE) HEBRON, WEST BANK (MAY 12, 2021) (REUTERS) (PART MUTE) FUNERAL PROCESSION FOR PALESTINIAN KILLED IN CLASHES WITH ISRAELI FORCES VARIOUS OF WOMEN AND CHILDREN WAVING FLAGS AND WATCHING FUNERAL GIRL CRYING MOURNING, TOUCHING BODY WOMEN CRYING VARIOUS OF FUNERAL PROCESSION CHILDREN SHOWING 'V' SIGN AS WATCHING FUNERAL FUNERAL PROCESSION DRONE FOOTAGE SHOWING FUNERAL PROCESSION (MUTE) AQQABA, WEST BANK (MAY 12, 2021) (REUTERS) BOY CHECKING ON BODY AT MORGUE (SOUNDBITE) (Arabic) MOTHER OF PALESTINIAN TEENAGER KILLED BY ISRAELI FORCES, NAJAH ABU ARAH, SAYING: "It is hard for me, my children are my life, I have them and God next to me. I have four children, I lost one and now I have three left." MOTHER SAYING THE BLOOD OF HER SON IS ON HER PANTS, KISSING PANTS VARIOUS OF FUNERAL
- Embargoed: 26th May 2021 14:03
- Keywords: Gaza Israel Palestinians West Bank funerals
- Location: HEBRON AND AQQABA, WEST BANK / GAZA CITY, GAZA
- City: HEBRON AND AQQABA, WEST BANK / GAZA CITY, GAZA
- Country: Palestinian Territories
- Topics: Conflicts/War/Peace,Middle East
- Reuters ID: LVA001ECNPG07
- Aspect Ratio: 16:9
- Story Text: EDITORS PLEASE NOTE: THIS EDIT CONTAINS GRAPHIC IMAGES
Hundreds attended funerals on Wednesday (May 12) in Gaza and the West Bank for Palestinians killed by Israeli forces.
In Gaza, funerals were held for men killed after Israel targeted a car in Gaza City.
In the West Bank, funerals were held for a teenager and a man who were killed during clashes with Israeli forces.
Israel carried out hundreds of airstrikes in Gaza on Wednesday and Palestinian militants fired multiple rocket barrages at Tel Aviv and the southern city of Beersheba in the region's most intense hostilities in years.
At least 43 people have been killed in Gaza since violence escalated on Monday, according to the enclave's health ministry. Six people have been killed in Israel, medical officials said.
In Gaza, a multi-story residential building collapsed after Israel warned its occupants in advance to evacuate, and another was heavily damaged after they were hit in the airstrikes.
Israel said its warplanes had targeted and killed several of the Islamist group Hamas's intelligence leaders early on Wednesday. Other strikes hit what the military said were rocket launch sites, Hamas offices, and the homes of Hamas leaders.
The heaviest offensive between Israel and Hamas since a 2014 war in the Hamas-ruled enclave has increased international concern that the situation could spiral out of control.
(Production: Arafat Barbakh, Yosri Al-Jamal, Mohammed Salem, Raneen Sawafta, Mustafa Abu Ganeyeh)
- Copyright Holder: REUTERS
- Copyright Notice: (c) Copyright Thomson Reuters 2021. Open For Restrictions - http://about.reuters.com/fulllegal.asp
- Usage Terms/Restrictions: None