- Title: Ocean Rebellion 'clean up' outside London's Science Museum
- Date: 19th May 2021
- Summary: LONDON, ENGLAND, UNITED KINGDOM (MAY 19, 2021) (REUTERS) PROTESTERS WITH OIL CANS ON THEIR HEADS AND SPITTING LIQUID REPRESENTING OIL ONTO PAVEMENT OUTSIDE SCIENCE MUSEUM VARIOUS OF PROTESTERS DRESSED AS CLEANERS WITH TEXT ON COSTUMES READING (English): "BEYOND FUCKED" SWEEPING LIQUID AND TALKING PROTESTER DRESSED AS CLEANER PRETENDING TO BE ON THE PHONE PROTESTERS DRESSED AS CLEANERS PRETENDING TO CLEAN THE PAVEMENT POLICE OFFICERS STANDING NEAR PROTEST / TRAFFIC PASSING POLICE OFFICERS STANDING OPPOSITE PROTESTERS VARIOUS OF PROTESTERS PRETENDING TO CLEAN, ONE HOLDING SIGN READING (English): "YOU CAN'T GREEN-WASH ECOCIDE" VARIOUS OF PROTESTERS DRESSED AS CLEANERS SITTING AND TALKING PROTESTERS SITTING VARIOUS OF PROTESTER WEARING BOILER SUIT WITH SHELL'S LOGO ON IT AND TEXT READING (English): "S'ELL OUT" PROTESTERS OUTSIDE SCIENCE MUSEUM
- Embargoed: 2nd June 2021 12:12
- Keywords: Climate Change Extinction Rebellion Ocean Rebellion Science Museum activists protest stunt
- Location: LONDON, ENGLAND, UNITED KINGDOM
- City: LONDON, ENGLAND, UNITED KINGDOM
- Country: United Kingdom
- Topics: Climate Change,Environment,Europe,General News,Government / Politics,Climate Politics
- Reuters ID: LVA001EDMNARR
- Aspect Ratio: 16:9
- Story Text: EDITORS PLEASE NOTE: THIS EDIT CONTAINS PROFANITY
Climate change protesters from activist group Ocean Rebellion staged a theatrical demonstration outside London's Science Museum on Wednesday (May 19).
Activists dressed as cleaners theatrically mopped up after others wearing oil cans on their head spilled liquid over the pavement in front of the museum.
In April, Ocean Rebellion's parent group, Extinction Rebellion, partnered with Greenpeace to back a boycott of the museum's climate exhibition, which is sponsored by Shell, one of the world's biggest oil and gas firms.
The groups say such sponsorship by energy companies is an attempt at "green-washing" - creating a false impression of a company's products as being environmentally friendly.
(Production: Hannah McKay, Ben Dangerfield)
- Copyright Holder: REUTERS
- Copyright Notice: (c) Copyright Thomson Reuters 2021. Open For Restrictions - http://about.reuters.com/fulllegal.asp
- Usage Terms/Restrictions: None