- Title: 'Wonder Woman' red carpet kicks off outdoor cinema season in London
- Date: 20th May 2021
- Summary: LONDON, ENGLAND, UK (MAY 20, 2021) (REUTERS) ***WARNING: CONTAINS FLASH PHOTOGRAPHY*** VARIOUS OF "WONDER WOMAN 1984" ACTOR, LILLY ASPELL, ARRIVING ON RED CARPET FOR "HIDEAWAY CINEMA" EVENT, POSING PHOTOGRAPHERS ASPELL ON RED CARPET (SOUNDBITE) (English) "WONDER WOMAN 1984" ACTOR, LILLY ASPELL, SAYING: "Amazing, to be honest. It's nice to even be out. Not only on the red carpet, so. It's amazing." ASPELL BEING INTERVIEWED VIEWFINDER (SOUNDBITE) (English) "WONDER WOMAN 1984" ACTOR, LILLY ASPELL, SAYING: "I have never been on a red carpet before. Many of my films, premieres have been cancelled and then I may have been filming something else so I haven't been able to go to that premiere or something like that. So yeah." VARIOUS OF ASPELL POSING FOR PHOTOS WITH COSPLAYERS (SOUNDBITE) (English) "WONDER WOMAN 1984" ACTOR, LILLY ASPELL, SAYING: "The atmosphere, I mean I used to love going in and you know and just sitting down with my friends or with my mum or with family, and it's, it's amazing to finally be here and be able to go to cinemas now." VARIOUS OF PEOPLE WATCHING OUTDOOR SCREENING OF "WONDER WOMAN 1984" (SOUNDBITE) (English) "HIDEAWAY CINEMA" CEO, JACK DENMAN, SAYING: "We started doing outdoor cinemas about three or four years ago now. And we decided that this was the right time to really look to evoke change in the industry. You know, traditionally cinemas, outdoor cinemas, they'll play Grease, they'll play Dirty Dancing, they'll play The Greatest Showman. We'll show all of those, the classics, but we've repositioned ourselves as a product where we're bringing new, new, and exciting releases to the outdoors at the same time as they'll be in the theatres." VARIOUS OF PEOPLE WATCHING OUTDOOR SCREENING OF "WONDER WOMAN 1984" (SOUNDBITE) (English) "HIDEAWAY CINEMA" CEO, JACK DENMAN, SAYING: "I think it's certainly fair to say that there's an opportunity for change in the marketplace. Traditional cinema is a very backward-thinking industry, some might say, it's something that's been stuck in time since the 1950s. We're trying to really push forward change in the industry in the way that people really engage with cinematic releases. There's going to be a lot of people out there who really aren't feeling confident in going back into a cinema, and we can provide something that's safe, that's easily accessible to the consumer, and if the weather holds, then they're going to get a sun tan as well." PEOPLE WATCHING OUTDOOR SCREENING OF "WONDER WOMAN 1984"
- Embargoed: 3rd June 2021 21:35
- Keywords: COVID-19 WW84 Wonder Woman cinema film red carpet
- Location: LONDON, ENGLAND, UK / VARIOUS FILMING LOCATIONS
- City: LONDON, ENGLAND, UK / VARIOUS FILMING LOCATIONS
- Country: United Kingdom
- Topics: Arts/Culture/Entertainment,Europe,Film
- Reuters ID: LVA001EDRO1FX
- Aspect Ratio: 16:9
- Story Text: EDITORS PLEASE NOTE: AUDIO AS INCOMING
Londoners braved the chill on Thursday (May 20) for an outdoor cinema screening with a touch of Hollywood sparkle: a red carpet for the screening of "Wonder Woman 1984".
An action spectacle starring Gal Gadot, "Wonder Woman 1984" had originally been scheduled to reach cinemas in June 2020.
But Hollywood studios delayed most of their summer blockbusters until 2021 as the virus has kept many theaters in key markets closed, devastating theater operators including AMC Entertainment and Cineworld Group Plc.
"Wonder Woman 1984" was moved several times and is the last big-budget action film on the 2020 schedule.
For actor Lilly Aspell, who plays the younger version of Gardot's character in the film, the opening of London's outdoor "Hideaway Cinema" marked the first red carpet she had ever been on.
Across England, Wales, and parts of Scotland, indoor entertainment venues were welcoming back audiences from May 17 after several months of closure, albeit operating at 50 percent capacity, with social distancing and other safety measures in place.
"Hideaway Cinema" CEO Jack Denman said he saw a gap in the market for outdoor cinemas offering current box office releases to an audience still nervous about COVID-19.
"We've repositioned ourselves as a product where we're bringing new, new, and exciting releases to the outdoors at the same time as they'll be in the theatres."
(Production: Ben Makori, Tara Oakes)
- Copyright Holder: REUTERS
- Copyright Notice: (c) Copyright Thomson Reuters 2021. Open For Restrictions - http://about.reuters.com/fulllegal.asp
- Usage Terms/Restrictions: None