- Title: Thousands of pro-Palestinian demonstrators march in Britain
- Date: 22nd May 2021
- Summary: LONDON, ENGLAND, UNITED KINGDOM (MAY 22, 2021) (REUTERS) LARGE CROWD OF PRO-PALESTINIAN DEMONSTRATORS WITH FLAGS AND PLACARDS IN TRAFALGAR SQUARE PROTESTER IN CROWD LETTING OFF GREEN SMOKE FLARE PROTESTERS CLINGING TO MONUMENT WITH PALESTINIAN FLAGS, CHANTING (Arabic): "ALLAHU AKBAR" - GOD IS GREAT / DEMONSTRATORS VARIOUS OF PROTESTERS IN TRAFALGAR SQUARE, CHANTING (English): "FROM THE RIVER TO THE SEA, PALESTINE WILL BE FREE."
- Embargoed: 5th June 2021 16:29
- Keywords: Gaza Israel London Palestinians Pro-Palestinian air strikes demonstration protest protest in London
- Location: LONDON, ENGLAND, UNITED KINGDOM
- City: LONDON, ENGLAND, UNITED KINGDOM
- Country: United Kingdom
- Topics: Europe,Government/Politics
- Reuters ID: LVA001EE1KOXZ
- Aspect Ratio: 16:9
- Story Text: Thousands of pro-Palestinian demonstrators marched through London and other British cities on Saturday (May 22) to protest against Israeli air strikes on the Gaza Strip during fighting with the Islamist group Hamas.
Protesters called for sanctions on Israel during the march in London. Some were draped in Palestinian flags and set off green and red smoke flares. Others carried banners declaring "Free Palestine", "Stop bombing Gaza" and "Sanctions on Israel".
A ceasefire on Friday (May 21), mediated by Egypt, ended 11 days of hostilities, during which the Israeli military pounded Gaza with air strikes which it said were a response to rockets fired at Israel by Palestinians militants.
Gaza medical officials said 248 people were killed in the Palestinian enclave, and aid officials have expressed concern about the humanitarian situation there.
Health officials said 13 people were killed in Israel in the hostilities, during which the Israeli military said Hamas, Islamic Jihad and other militant groups fired around 4,350 rockets, many of which did not reach Israel or were intercepted.
(Production: Toby Melville, Mussab Al-Khairalla, Parniyan Zemaryalai, Hazem Sika)
- Copyright Holder: REUTERS
- Copyright Notice: (c) Copyright Thomson Reuters 2021. Open For Restrictions - http://about.reuters.com/fulllegal.asp
- Usage Terms/Restrictions: None