- Title: Countdown to a Eurovision like no other
- Date: 21st May 2021
- Summary: ROTTERDAM, NETHERLANDS (MAY 18, 2021) (REUTERS) VARIOUS OF BELGIAN EUROVISION FANS SINGING IN LARGE PHOTO FRAME IN FRONT OF VENUE FOR 2021 EUROVISION SONG CONTEST EUROVISION FANS ARRIVING FROM PEDESTRIAN CROSSING IN FRONT OF VENUE WHICH PLAYS ABBA'S 1974 EUROVISION-WINNING SONG "WATERLOO" GREEN FIGURE DANCING ON PEDESTRIAN CROSSING LIGHT PEOPLE CROSSING MONTAGE OF LYRICS REFERENCING FAMOUS EUROVISION SONGS FANS ARRIVING DUTCH FAN POSING WEARING UKRAINIAN COLOURS VARIOUS OF DUTCH FANS WEARING ORANGE WIGS VARIOUS OF DUTCH EUROVISION FANS ROBERTO AND GERT WEARING BLUE DRESSES COVERED IN EUROPEAN FLAGS
- Embargoed: 4th June 2021 19:02
- Keywords: ESC 2021 Eurovision song contest fans music show
- Location: VARIOUS LOCATIONS
- City: VARIOUS LOCATIONS
- Country: United Kingdom
- Topics: Arts/Culture/Entertainment,Europe,Music
- Reuters ID: LVA008EE1L36H
- Aspect Ratio: 16:9
- Story Text: Fans all over the world were counting down the hours on Saturday (May 22) ahead of the Eurovision song contest grand final.
The Netherlands is hosting the 65th edition after Dutch singer-songwriter Duncan Laurence won the 2019 contest in Tel Aviv. Last year's event was cancelled due to the pandemic.
All 39 participating countries and their delegations are tested before they entering the venue. Some 3,000 fans can attend through the Dutch trial scheme for events during the pandemic. They have to show a negative coronavirus test.
Iceland's Eurovision entry, band Dadi og Gagnamagnid, has pulled out of the live event this weekend after a member of the group tested positive for COVID-19, although their song remains in the competition.
The band was one of the top five favourites to win this year's contest held in the Dutch port city of Rotterdam according to bookmakers.
Italy, France and Malta now top the bookmakers' odds as most likely to win the 2021 crown - but the ultimate winner will be decided by international votes and an expert jury.
(Production: Tara Oakes, Johnny Cotton, Bart Biesemans)
- Copyright Holder: REUTERS
- Copyright Notice: (c) Copyright Thomson Reuters 2021. Open For Restrictions - http://about.reuters.com/fulllegal.asp
- Usage Terms/Restrictions: None