- Title: Euro 2020: Profile of London and Glasgow
- Date: 30th May 2021
- Summary: LONDON, ENGLAND, UNITED KINGDOM (FILE - APRIL 14, 2021) (REUTERS) (MUTE) TIMELAPSE LONDON EYE / THE RIVER THAMES AND CITY OF LONDON SKYLINE (MUTE) VARIOUS TIMELAPSES OF WESTMINSTER BRIDGE AND HOUSES OF PARLIAMENT (MUTE) SLOW MOTION OF YOUTHS CYCLING THE RIVER THAMES / TOWER BRIDGE AND CITY OF LONDON SKYLINE TOWER BRIDGE THE SHARD (MUTE) SLOW MOTION OF PEOPLE DRINKING OUTDOORS (MUTE) VARIOUS SLOW MOTION OF PEOPLE WALKING/RUNNING ON THE GOLDEN JUBILEE FOOTBRIDGE
- Embargoed: 13th June 2021 17:03
- Keywords: Euro 2020 Euro 2020 tournament Glasgow Hampden Park London Wembley Wembley Stadium city profile football soccer
- Location: LONDON, ENGLAND / GLASGOW, SCOTLAND, UNITED KINGDOM
- City: LONDON, ENGLAND / GLASGOW, SCOTLAND, UNITED KINGDOM
- Country: United Kingdom
- Topics: Europe,Soccer,Sport
- Reuters ID: LVA003EF1N327
- Aspect Ratio: 16:9
- Story Text: Group D takes you to the United Kingdom where London and Glasgow are the host cities, including for a match where age-old bitter rivals England and Scotland will take each other on at Wembley Stadium.
London is full of famous landmarks from Buckingham Palace to Big Ben that towers over the Houses of Parliament, from the London Eye to the Shard.
Wembley Stadium has gained Dublin's last-16 match, taking its total number of fixtures to eight which include the semi-finals and final. There will be a minimum capacity of 25% for the group matches and last 16, with a decision on higher capacity for the semis and final expected in early June. Wembley's full capacity is 90,000.
Around 21,000 fans of English teams Chelsea and Leicester City were able to watch their teams battle it out at the FA Cup final in mid-May - the biggest crowd in England since March 2020.
Trafalgar Square will be transformed into a fanzone for the tournament. Giant screens will be set up in the iconic square for a limited number of fans who will have to socially distance as they cheer on their national team until restrictions are due to loosen in the UK from June 21.
The UK has been one of the hardest hit by the pandemic and is known for being a country where football brings people together. Londoners said they were hopeful that the capital being the main location for the Euros will bring some much-needed joy and hope for the country.
Meanwhile, Glasgow's Hampden Park will allow around 12,000 fans in the stadium. It will be Scotland's first international tournament since the 1998 World Cup.
Glasgow, Britain's third biggest city, is about an hour's drive west from the Scottish capital Edinburgh and is also due to host the COP26 climate summit in November. People in Glasgow had a level of concern about gatherings of people that the Euros are likely to bring, although there are plans for a fanzone with up to 6,000 soccer lovers on Glasgow Green from June 11.
England and Scotland will face Croatia and the Czech Republic in Group D.
(Production: Ben Dangerfield, Gerhard Mey, Natalie Thomas, Will Russell, Ben Makori, Paul Hardy, Emily Roe)
- Copyright Holder: FILE REUTERS (CAN SELL)
- Copyright Notice: (c) Copyright Thomson Reuters 2021. Open For Restrictions - http://about.reuters.com/fulllegal.asp
- Usage Terms/Restrictions: None