- Title: Defendants in New Zealand volcano eruption tragedy case seek more time for pleas
- Date: 3rd June 2021
- Summary: WHAKATANE, NEW ZEALAND (FILE - DECEMBER 12, 2019) (REUTERS) SIGN AND FLOWERS AT MEMORIAL ON FENCE
- Embargoed: 17th June 2021 04:56
- Keywords: New Zealand Whakatane White Island eruption tourists volcano
- Location: WHITE ISLAND, WHAKATANE, OFF WHITE ISLAND, NEW ZEALAND
- City: WHITE ISLAND, WHAKATANE, OFF WHITE ISLAND, NEW ZEALAND
- Country: New Zealand
- Topics: Asia / Pacific,Disaster/Accidents,Earthquakes/Volcanoes/Tsunami
- Reuters ID: LVA006EFUHX6V
- Aspect Ratio: 16:9
- Story Text: EDITORS PLEASE NOTE: BLURRING ON SHOT NO. 10 COMES FROM SOURCE
Most defendants charged following an investigation into a volcanic eruption in New Zealand in 2019 that killed 22 people told a court on Thursday (June 3) that they were not ready to enter pleas, according to media reports.
The surprise eruption on White Island, also known by its Maori name of Whakaari, on Dec. 9 also injured dozens of people.
The majority of them were tourists from countries such as Australia, the United States, and Malaysia who were part of a cruise ship that was traveling around New Zealand. There were 47 people on the island when the volcano erupted.
New Zealand's workspace regulator, WorkSafe, filed charges against 13 parties in November last year for not meeting health and safety obligations with taking tourists to the island.
The defendants were meant to enter their pleas on Thursday but they told the WhakatÄne District Court that they had not had enough time to go through all of the evidence provided so far, Radio New Zealand (RNZ) reported.
White Island Tours' lawyer Richard Raymond said the 3,000 documents they had been provided so far amounted to thousands and thousands of more pages, RNZ reported.
WorkSafe had a year to consider the issues and expert evidence before deciding to lay charges, he said, whereas the defendants only had a few months.
It was "an uneven playing field, to an extent," Raymond said, according to the report.
Only the National Emergency Management Agency, one of the agencies charged, entered a not guilty plea. The next hearing was set for September, the report said.
(Production: Stefica Nicol Bikes)
- Copyright Holder: FILE REUTERS (CAN SELL)
- Copyright Notice: (c) Copyright Thomson Reuters 2021. Open For Restrictions - http://about.reuters.com/fulllegal.asp
- Usage Terms/Restrictions: None