- Title: Funeral held for Palestinian teenager killed by Israeli troops
- Date: 11th June 2021
- Summary: NABLUS, WEST BANK (JUNE 11, 2021) (REUTERS) PEOPLE WALKING WITH THE FATHER OF 15-YEAR-OLD TEENAGER MOHAMAD HAMAYEL, WHO WAS KILLED BY ISRAELI TROOPS DURING CLASHES IN BEITA PEOPLE CHANTING SLOGANS OUTSIDE THE HOSPITAL AMBULANCE OUTSIDE HOSPITAL SIGN READING IN (Arabic) AND (English): RAFIDIA HOSPITAL VARIOUS OF PALESTINIAN SECURITY FORCES CARRYING BODY OF A 15-YEAR-OLD TEENAGER WRAPPED WITH PALESTINIAN FLAG AND LEAVING THE HOSPITAL
- Embargoed: 25th June 2021 18:44
- Keywords: Israel Palestinians clashes funeral settlement settlers soldiers
- Location: NABLUS, WEST BANK
- City: NABLUS, WEST BANK
- Country: Palestinian Territories
- Topics: Conflicts/War/Peace,Middle East
- Reuters ID: LVA001EGYL0LJ
- Aspect Ratio: 16:9
- Story Text:A funeral march was held on Friday (June 11) in the occupied West Bank city of Nablus for a Palestinian teenager shot by Israeli soldiers during a clash in Beita village.
The violence erupted at a protest against Israeli settlements near the city of Nablus, witnesses said.
The Israeli military called it "a violent riot with hundreds of Palestinians".
"The rioters burned tires, hurled rocks, and launched fireworks towards (Israeli) troops who were present at the scene, endangering their lives," said a military spokesperson.
"The troops responded with riot dispersal means and fired toward the rioters."
A 15-year-old Palestinian was shot and later died of his wounds, the Health Ministry said.
During last month's fighting over the Palestinian-run Gaza Strip, unrest also flared in the West Bank, and tensions have remained high since.
(Production: Roleen Tafakji, Mohamad Torokman)
- Copyright Holder: REUTERS
- Copyright Notice: (c) Copyright Thomson Reuters 2021. Open For Restrictions - http://about.reuters.com/fulllegal.asp
- Usage Terms/Restrictions: None